“First Trip with Qatar - Will Definitely Fly with them Again”
Review of Qatar Airways

Colombo to JFK via Doha.

Colombo to Doha was uneventful. Lounge in Colombo below average. Plane was a 330/777. Flight was full but service was efficient. We had to take the bus from the terminal to the plane for boarding but business class passengers were boarded separately so that was not a major hassle.

Doha airport is dope! And the Business Class lounge is one the best I've been to.

Flight was "interesting" - we boarded normally (read: extra security checks for US-bound flights). Pre takeoff and post-takeoff were standard... BUT two hours into the flight the captain made an announcement that we had to go back to Doha because of technical issues with the plane. Flight crew couldn't provide specific details about the issue. Four hours after taking off we were back in Doha and waited inside the plane for about an hour and then an announcement was made that we will be transferred to a new plane (also an A350) tail-to-tail, which "saved" us from going through further delays. The "real" flight was great and we arrived in JFK 6 hours behind schedule - essentially taking off half a day from my weeklong-vacation, but thankful that we were alive.

Reviews (10 666)

146 - 150 of 10 666 reviews

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The flight was good an uneventful. This trip only had one stop, in Doha. This made the trip to Manila a little bit more bearable (25 hours). The food service was good. The entertainment on the flight was good, The DOha airport was a bit chaotic, but no real issues there.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We booked directly with Qatar online about 5 months in advance. The procedure was smooth and hassle free.

Then.....the Qatar/UAE dispute developed. Flight times were changed left and right but Qatar Airways remained silent without any notifications WHATSOEVER!

At the time of booking we booked the only flights that came up as available to our destination which resulted in a 9½ hr layover. I wrote to every Qatar contact I could find including Facebook in an effort to find out what they had available to make the layover more comfortable for us. None of my messages where even acknowledged! I approached them 14 different times (yes, I am patient and persistent) but received nothing from them except computer generated responses advising that the communication had been received.

As for the flights (4 total) themselves; they were average, very average. Don’t be fooled by the wonderful reviews etc as they apply to Business Class and up – in economy you are considered a non-entity taking up space in the cattle truck! I elaborate – by row six the pasta dishes weren’t available and this happened on every flight. The scrambled eggs for breakfast were also depleted soon after serving started and your only alternative was Chilli Chicken!!!! – for breakfast??? On board entertainment was, to say the least – PATHETIC.

AT DOHA - ORYX LOUNGE: Yes, we paid around $50 each to hopefully enjoy a little comfort during our long 9½hr layover between the long hours of midnight to 09.00. Another really bad experience:- Noisy undisciplined children running around chasing one another and screaming on top of their voices. The recliner lounge was fully occupied for the entire duration of our stay. Don’t even think of trying to put your feet up on a different chair to the one your bum occupies – they pounce on you as if you are committing a criminal act!

FOOD: The food was okay but I fail to understand why ‘feet up on a chair ‘is treated with such horror whilst people are allowed to help themselves before leaving the lounge for their flights to handfuls of dates and nuts and such with their bare hands grovelling around in the bowl....yuck!
The most pleasant experience at this venue for both of us was the shower. After a 10hr flight, a 9½hr layover and another 5hrs ahead the fact that we could freshen up was worth a fraction of the $50 spent.

I reiterate – never again – other airlines to that part of the world treat you much better so for us its Emirates from now on.

2  Thank gulliversmate
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I last flew QA in 2011/12 and was always very pleased with the standard of the cabin and catering, but not so on this trip. The legroom seems far less and the seats smaller and harder (and I've lost a considerable amount of weight since 2012, in case that's what you're thinking!) to the extent that when the man in front of me decided to recline his seat as soon as I was served with my dinner, there simply wasn't room to eat comfortably. The food simply wasn't appetising and the afternoon tea, unlike a recent trip on Emirates, was a reheated pie in a box more like a Macdonalds hot apple pie than what I would expect from a national airline. Not a great experience, though the crew were very pleasant.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

the last of our 4 lights with QATAR for our Europe adventure, back to the A777-300 jet (3-4-3). more legroom than the A320, menu range was good, again we were seated together for the 4 time in 4 flights which was really appreciated with teenage kids.

This was a night flight and the inside cabin was quire dark.