“Vancouver-Shanghai-Delhi and Return”
Review of China Eastern Airlines

Reviewed 2 April 2018

This is a good airline. The check-in was efficient and we were able to get the seats we wanted with no fuss ( both in Vancouver and New Delhi). The seats were very comfortable- a nice touch when flying for 12 hours plus. Even with the chair back reclined the tray still has enough room and that has not always been our experience with other airlines. The food was ok - not excellent. The sound system supporting the movies, etc. was poor - probably poor ear phones. Compared to other major airlines they are are middle of the pack.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (3 337)

599 - 603 of 3 337 reviews

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Seatback entertainment did not work from TAO to SFO, but I had four seats and was able to sleep for much of the flight. When I awoke, there was a sticker saying that they would serve me anytime I got hungry. And they did. It was reasonable airline food. Wandering to the galley, I found a bag of apples and bananas. I asked if I could have a banana. Turns out the fruit was the personal stash of one of the flight attendants, but she cheerfully gave me a banana. The problem with China Eastern Air is not the airline, their personnel or their equipment. It is the airports and, especially, the border control procedures. On the return to Japan, via Shanghai, we had to wait 3.5 hours for transit visas. Only one window was open, but three people examined each passport, sometimes they scrutinized the stamps with a camera-equipped magnifying glass.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Actually was quite surprised by this airline, for I wasn't expecting it to be so good. I really like the idea of only 2 passenger window seats, then isle, with 4 seats, isle and another 2 seats next to window. This seating arrangement is a lot better than 3 seats across from window. We were quite comfortable and the customer service from the airline crew was, very good. Food was OK and could be better. One thing we all noticed was for some reason they serve lunch with butter and no bread roll, and after you have finished lunch they then bring around the bread roll?? Must be some custom??

Reviewed 2 April 2018

The ground staff did not have sufficient knowledge on the visa requirements. Due to this, I had to stay in the counter (with my wife and daughter) for more than 20 minutes. And, for some reason, they have been taking photos of the old visa pages in my passport and checking with various persons over phone. The supervisor there seem to be unaware of the visa requirements as well. And, in between all these, no communication made with me or no explanation given as to what is going on! Had to ask few times, what is the issue and then I was told, we are checking on the visa requirements for Jeju! The attitude and response was terrible.

Then no further communication with me. After have been waiting for unresponsive 20 over minutes, was told, OK you can go and here are the boarding passes! Please note, I had no issues entering Jeju without a visa, as the Jeju special administrative zone has different visa requirements as compared to mainland Korea.

I would expect the ground staff or at least their supervisors to be enough knowledgeable about the destination visa requirements so as NOT to waste the time of the passengers.

The flight cabin, crew and other things were fine. It was just the unawareness from the ground staff which spoiled the entire experience.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

The ground staff and the check-in was smooth and quite fast, in Changi Airport. However, the flight was delayed by over 3 hours due to a technical issue and all the passengers were given meal vouchers to be used at "specified" food outlets.

The cabin crew were friendly and responsive. The flight's economy cabin & the in-flight meal were OK. Although legroom was average, the seat comfort was not so good. Had some neck pain, the next day. I thought it was only me, but everyone in my family felt the same. Blankets were available in the seat, but had to ask for pillows (which were limited in numbers).

Not so many options in in-flight entertainment in English but a good list of items for available for Chinese travelers.

Checked-in luggage was delivered promptly and overall experience was average. If there was no delay, it would have been a good flight, for the cost paid.