“Far better than I expected”
Review of Air Mauritius

Reviewed 2 June 2024

Having travelled many times before on Air Mauritius I was very concerned to see the recent reviews and to read so many articles about the state of the airline. As our recent trip got closer I was waiting for something terrible to happen. It never did!!!

Our flights to and from the island were on time, staff were pleasant, food was hot and served with proper cutlery even in economy class. Inflight entertainment worked perfectly and there was enough to watch on our 6 hour flights.

Let's hope that MK can soon put it's troubles behind it and get back to their previous heights.

1  Thank DeeCapeTown
Reviews (2 883)

17 - 21 of 2 883 reviews

Reviewed 28 May 2024

My flight got cancelled and we had to spend 4 hours on the phone with the incompetent customer service to book the next flight. The next flight was delayed as well. No way to find about cancellation policy and compensation. I've lodged a compensation claim few weeks ago and still haven't learn back from them. Worst customer service experience.

Date of travel: March 2024
Reviewed 28 May 2024

We were delayed for over 3 hrs & I have emailed them 2 time in the last week but have not had any acknowledgment let alone offer of compensation. It is law that they pay & I want to know how else to get them to sort this out. Anyone got any ideas, please?

Dear Air Mauritius,

I am writing to express my extreme disappointment with the recent flights I took with your airline. On 12th April & 20th April, I was booked on flight MK42 & MK53 from London Gatwick to Mauritius. Unfortunately, my experience fell far short of the standards I have come to expect from your airline.

The bad start to the trip began with the email I received telling me my Aircraft has now been changed to HiFly. I called up Air Mauritius customer service and asked them if the seats I paid over £90 for would still be the same and if we'd have entertainment. I was told not to worry about both issues raised and that nothing will change for us.
Fast forward to the flight, we boarded the plane to find that our seats were indeed not the ones we purchased (window seats) and that there was no In-flight entertainment for a 12 Hour Flight! I find this to be unacceptable. We were told to scan a QR code to watch a very small variety of shows on our phones but with no ability to charge the mobile I found this ridiculous. Not to mention the Aircraft was dirty and not pleasant at all.

This was then followed by the horror show of a return journey back to the UK. We arrived at the airport over 2hrs 30mintues before our flight only to find the longest queue for the bag check-in I've ever seen. This was due to fact Air Mauritius decided to have one queue for the flights to Delhi, Perth, Paris and London. This line spanned the length of the whole airport... After waiting anxiously in the line for over 2 hours we managed to just about make the flight by having an Air Mauritius worker shouting around looking for passengers, if I didn't spot them in the crowd I'm sure we would have not have made this flight. With no time at all to buy even a bottle of water. The flight was then delayed over another 1hr 45minutes waiting for cargo to be loaded. At no point we were offered even a glass of water as we sat waiting.
In a nutshell the primary issues I encountered during my journey were:

Delays: The flight was delayed overall by 1hr 45mins, causing significant inconvenience and disruption to my travel plans.

Poor Service: Throughout the saga, there was a catalogue of errors and a lack of clear communication from the airline staff regarding the reason for the delay and the expected departure time. Additionally, I found the staff to be unhelpful and inattentive to the needs of the passengers. At the airport in Mauritius there were nobody to speak to. No representative, no staff. When we found staff they laughed at us as if our stress was hilarious...

Comfort: The condition of the HiFly aircraft was substandard, with the lack of entertainment and cleanliness issues
Baggage Handling: Upon arrival at my destination, I discovered that my baggage had been damaged during transit. A tear to my fiancés suitcase. Please find pictures attached.

Overall as a Kestrel Flyer, this experience has left me extremely dissatisfied with the level of service provided by your airline. What makes it worse it that me and fiancée Sarah-Leigh Robertson will be getting married next year October in Mauritius and will have over 45 guests flying over to celebrate with us. I had hoped for a more pleasant and hassle-free journey from your airlines, as it stands I feel more confident in advising them go with Emirates or British Airways if this is the experience my family and friends will receive when flying with Air Mauritius.

I would appreciate it if you could investigate the issues I have raised and provide me with a prompt response.

It's been over a month and still no reply to any of my emails or calls.

Date of travel: April 2024
2  Thank Jessen g
Reviewed 27 May 2024

I urge you to avoid this airline at all costs!! Sham of a company. Delays and cancellations both ways with no communication. Rude staff, terrible food and terrible in air service. Dirty plane. We are now trying to seek compensation which I’ve also read is almost impossible to speak to anyone. Do yourself a favour and don’t bother! I wish we hadn’t. I will tell everyone to avoid this company like the plague.

3  Thank Emma T
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.