“Easy and comfortable”
Review of Air France

Reviewed 22 April 2019

Took a late flight from Paris to Rome and was relatively uneventful. I slept for most of the flight and the service was great!

2  Thank Stephen S
Write a reviewReviews (32 260)

2 371 - 2 375 of 32 260 reviews

Reviewed 22 April 2019

**Please read this if you are planning to upgrade to Business Class or Premium Economy after purchasing an Economy class ticket** (LONG READ)

TL;DR: If you are using the web system to upgrade, make a separate EMD number is generated for each journey, for each passenger. Else, face hell.

So this review is for our trip for our Honeymoon in January 2019.

Trip: New Delhi > Paris CDG > Mexico City .. and back.

We purchased economy class tickets from New Delhi to Paris (CDG) and then onwards from Paris to Mexico City after a 5 hour stopover.
We dabbled with the idea of upgrading our class due to the long duration of our flight and finally decided to upgrade using the Air France online system that comes up when you go for an online-check in option.
While checking in - we upgraded our trip from New Delhi to Paris to Premium Economy class and from Paris CDG to Mexico City (13 hours) to Business class to make the journey more comfortable. For this we paid online using a credit card and shortly after we received confirmation emails confirming the upgrade for both legs of the journey for both passengers including our seat numbers.

The trouble started when we reached the airport for the first leg of our flight. For some reason, though we have paid for 4 upgrades together (2 pax, 2 journeys), the upgrade showed in their 'system' for only one passenger. When we showed them the confirmation emails and our boarding passes with seats - they asked us to wait. After 60 minutes of standing at the checkin counter (thank god we reached early) the senior manager arrives and tells us they will contact the CDG office to confirm as the system showed only 1 EMD number has been generated for the upgrade. (only for 1 passenger)

This is true and checks out as our confirmation email has only 1 EMD number (no idea what this means but apparently is the autogenerated number and there should be 1 for each passenger)

After 15 more minutes they finally call CDG and confirm that it has in fact been upgraded successfully and hand us our printed boarding passes with business class seats from Paris to Mexico City as planned. They apologise for the trouble and give us first class lounge access for the 30 mins we still had before our departure.

We reach Paris and use the business lounge to freshen up using our boarding passes and all is fine. When the flight from Paris to Mexico is ready for boarding, we are stopped at the gate for the same issue again - one passenger upgrade is gone through, not the other.

Here is where the NIGHTMARE begins. The Air France staff, despite seeing that we are holding business class boarding passes are ridiculously rude and talking down at us. They are questioning whether the payment has gone through and ask us to pay for 1 passengers upgrade again. We show them the email showing the payment and also the Air France confirmation email showing us the upgrades, the seats, everything, with no avail!

My wife's boarding pass shows a business seat and they take away my boarding pass and tear it (yes! in front us) and then issue me a middle seat in economy. At this point the boarding is almost complete and they threaten to close the gate without us. My wife panics and we hand them our credit card to charge us again (we have no option and we figure we will deal with customer care later). The lady gets on the phone to make the payment while a gate executive from Air France (white, bald guy in his 40s) tell us verbatim - " Next time if you can afford to buy business class outright don't bother with economy and then upgrading"

I am in disbelief at this point but the ball is in their court as I am completely helpless. I ignore this downright ridiculous insult and wait on the lady to complete the payment. She informs me the payment is declined ( weird as I have her my international signature Visa card with a high limit). By now she threatens us that we must board 1 business 1 economy or not board at all. All boarding is complete and we are left with no option. The flight is an A380 with different floors for business and economy and my wife is in tears on our HONEYMOON trip on the aerobridge to the flight. I am requesting them to try my Amex or Master or take cash!! But they are adamant and refuse the offer for cash. I tell them to give me a link - I will buy the onboard wifi and make the payment online. This request is also shot down. I am confused. Why are 2 passengers being harassed for a fault of their own booking system? We have everything to make our case, except the will of the Air France staff to help us out.

Anyway, we board the plane - my wife is escorted to her business seat and I am taken to to my economy seat. Determined, I ask to meet the head cabin attendant - I am made to wait for 15 minutes in the aisle with my carry on. While the ground staff tells the attendant in French "The Indian guy is trying to get on business with an economy ticket" (having studied in Lyon, I pick up on French without speaking it too well). But I still plead my case, ignoring their racist, insulting remarks. I show him the email confirmation and he finally patiently hears me out. Then, immediately says that this has happened before with him in another flight and it is, indeed, their mistake of the EMD number not being generated. THEIR MISTAKE. He realises that we are well traveled and finally checks with the Indian office while the plane is getting ready. He then 'does us a favour' and finally gives me the business seat booked for me previously. An absolutely disgraceful experience for no reason at all.

After take off they soon realise they had messed up and we get 2-3 people come and apologise to us. What's worse is that on landing I found out that the credit card was declined as the lady gave the wrong CVV number on the phone. A series of insulting events which could have easily been avoided by the staff being more cooperative. It made me realise I will never travel on Air France again.

The food and the champagne, went a long way to improve our experience later on - it was just the ground staff that was too rude and unprofessional for us to believe.

For anyone looking for upgrade make sure you do it on the phone and there are EMD numbers generated for each passenger. And good luck.

Date of travel: January 2019
3  Thank AgentKay13
Reviewed 22 April 2019 via mobile

Very long haul, with a layover at CDG in Paris. One of my flights was late to take off due to heavy snowing - the crew on both flights were courteous. The seats were comfortable, the food was good. Was unexpectedly upgraded to business class due to overbooking!

Date of travel: December 2018
Reviewed 21 April 2019 via mobile

We recently flew on Air France for the first time and we were not impressed. Give me Delta any day. We had purchased seats months ago and we were supposed to sit in two seats without a middle seat. However they changed planes and there were only rows with middle seats. I was stuck in a middle seat for almost nine hours. Ugh. Plus the seats were really uncomfortable and had zero back support. While the crew was attentive and very pleasant the seats were not. I will try to avoid Air France in the future.

Reviewed 21 April 2019

Short flight, no hassles checking in. Seats what you would expect in economy reasonably comfortable with limited leg room. Food available for purchase on the plane.

• Check-in and boarding
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.