“Lost baggage and refund refused after death certificate supplied”
Review of Aegean Airlines

Reviewed 16 February 2018

I flew from Heathrow to Larnaca and back in October 2017. On my return Aegean airline lost my luggage. I waited four weeks before I had to chase them up for an update. They offered their apology and 400 Euros compensation. When I informed them that I had a couple of suits and shoes with some other items worth around 1300 Euros, they increased their offer to 500 Euros. Under the Montreal Convention they are liable to compensate up to 1131SDR which is equivalent to 1200 Euros depending on the exchange rate, they have refused because they say my trip was only for 3 days, hence that's the maximum they will offer.
I took my complaint to the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) who got in touch with Aegean, three weeks later the CAA informed me that Aegean is sticking to their offer. The CAA has advised me to take Aegean to court, I am about to start this process.
Furthermore my wife was supposed to travel with me on this same trip, three days before she lost her grandmother which meant she was not in a fit state to travel.
I informed Aegean of this unused ticket and I was asked to send in the death certificate which I duly did. They responded by saying they require a certificate of relationship to prove that she is her grandmother even though they share the same surname, we have no such thing here in the UK, this is a non existent document and they are requesting it in order to issue a full refund. Obviously they must be aware that this document does not exist which indicates they have no intention of refunding any money.
Absolute nightmare after sales service, will never travel with them again, I am a prominent member of the City of London Corporation and I will make sure Aegean's poor level of service and utter disrespect to grieving customers are well publicised.
Shame on you Aegean!!!

Date of travel: October 2017
5  Thank ismael a
Write a ReviewReviews (8 124)

1 193 - 1 197 of 8 124 reviews

Reviewed 15 February 2018

The staff was neat and polite. Since this is a short distance flight of about an hour, the aircraft was a brand new turboprop Bombardier. The inflight snack was Ok considering the short flight; a sandwich, coffee/tea and beverages.

Reviewed 14 February 2018

In flight service is always very professional, what they call a cheese pie was more of a piece of bread without any cheese, tasteless, nice airline coffee, half an hour delay but arrived on time. Once again this particular airline seems to disgust jetways and chooses to park far away using the good old romantic bus service as they did in the 50s. No single reason or excuse, the airport was half empty. Hurray, for my return flight they did something very rare on this sector, they approached the jetways...A new system is that if you choose a seat ahead of row 16, you have to pay for it. The use of WC is still free...

Reviewed 14 February 2018

Everything was smooth and calm during this flight, the air hostesses were very helpfull and always in a smile, unlike some other airlines with bossy and in a bad mood hostesses. Service was very good and the food simple but ok. Personally I would have liked to watch a film during the long four hours of the flight, but this is not possible at Aegean flights to and from London, something that other airlines manage to accomplish. Overall it was a very good experience, nevertheless.

Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

On 4/2 we flew to Rhodes, due to bad weather we reached the airport but could not land . The afternoon and evening flight were cancelled . Aegean airlines set us up in a great hotel , breakfast and dinner all payed for. Aegean’s telephone customer service (the best) booked on a convenient flight on the next day. Take offs and landings are great , I truly believe Aegean Airlines is one of the best in the world .

1  Thank anitaprod