“Cancelled flight without telling us”
Review of Viva Air (Peru)

Reviewed 3 October 2019

Terrible, terrible airline. We were flying from Talara to Lima to Iquitos. We tried to check in multiple times and got a message saying we couldn’t and to email the airline- we did this and luckily screenshot everything. When we arrived in Talara we were only here advised that our flight from Lima to Iquitos was cancelled. No email, no communication from the airline, not even a reply to our query on not being in able to check in. What’s more, the staff then tried to charge us as we hadn’t checked in for our flight?? Grateful for our screenshots here. We continued with our flight to Lima, and we’re advised to visit the Viva desk there. When we arrived there our bags were missing as the staff in Lima were unaware that the flight to Iquitos was cancelled- we spent 30-40 minutes hunting these down. We then visited the Viva desk where we were told ‘sorry’ but nothing they could do. We ended up having to purchase last minute flights with Latam (lovely airline) for double the price as we had to be in Iquitos that night for a booked amazon tour.
Viva then told us that because we took the flight to Lima they wouldn’t refund anything - even though their staff there told us to visit the desk in Lima there was nothing that could be done in Talara.
TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE AIRLINE DO NOT FLY WITH THEM!!!!!

Date of travel: September 2019
1  Thank Sarah F
Write a reviewReviews (835)

Reviewed 2 October 2019

This is the worst airline ever! The worst customer service. On the phone they say one thing and at the airport they say another. I was charged triple for a ticket for a 2 year old! When on the phone they said that kids under 3 didn't need to pay!
Lady didn't seem to give a crap about the issue.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS GARBAGE OF AN AIRLINE.!

Date of travel: October 2019
1  Thank Andres C
Reviewed 2 October 2019

This has been by far the worst experience I have had with an airline. They wouldn't let me on my flight even though i checked in the night before and I was at the airport 2 hours before my flight. No one at the company viva airlines spoke english to explain the complicated situation to me even though I was 2 hours before my flight. They forced me to travel across the airport to speak to another non-english speakers. Forcing me to buy a new ticket more than 5 time the original price than the original ticket and not even refunding me the original ticket. DO NOT FLY THIS AIRLINE AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!

Date of travel: August 2019
    • Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Legroom
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank DGlad2019
Reviewed 30 September 2019

WORST AIRLINE EVER! We had a terrible experience. At the begging prices were cheap but when you go to the airport they charge you for EVERYTHING, literally. They charge you for the boarding pass, really? Where you have seen that? Of course the charge you for the carry on too, if you have luggages, get ready my friend because you are going to pay a HUGE AMOUNT! This is absolutely a SCAM, THEY ARE SCAMMERS. The thing is that they don’t even mentioned any of these ‘extra’ fees that you must pay if you wanna take your flight. This is 21st century really cannot believe these kind of airlines keep existing. SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME

Date of travel: August 2019
2  Thank Arasseli
Reviewed 30 September 2019 via mobile

We took a domestic flight from Lima to Cuzco through Viva air. They deliberately split up all seats bought together so they can make money on upgrades. There were entire families with children under 5 years of age that were sat at opposite ends of a half empty flight. They would not allow these families to sit together despite the flight being nearly empty.

Also, sitting at the gate or even while boarding our return flight the staff will approach you if you are white or look like a tourist and charge you for your bag even though it fit the dimensions and weight limit. As the woman was charging me for my 1 bag being ‘too large’ a women with a bag twice the size of mine walked by. I said something to her and the woman stopped her but she said something in Spanish and was just left to go and board the flight. On top of that, they allowed my husband to board the first flight with his bag, but forced him to pay for his bag the second return flight! The tag from the first flight was still on his bag!

This is the worst economy airline I’ve ever flown. The savings are definitely not worth it considering they will charge you for everything and anything that they can. I felt particular disappointed in the very apparent racism that my husband and I experienced. We noticed only westerners were being pulled out of the boarding line and forced to pay for extra luggage. There were people passing me in the boarding line (seemingly locals) with 2 bags and bags that far exceeded our 35 liter backpacks that we each had.

I certainly would never recommend flying Viva Air. You won’t save anything by the time they finish charging you for the most basic things. Personally, I would fly with an airline that treats their customers with respect and dignity. Very disheartening experience to be singled out and mistreated.

Date of travel: September 2019
2  Thank lisangwilliams
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.