“Racist economy airline! Not worth the savings...especially if you look like a tourist.”
Review of Viva Air (Peru)

Reviewed 30 September 2019 via mobile

We took a domestic flight from Lima to Cuzco through Viva air. They deliberately split up all seats bought together so they can make money on upgrades. There were entire families with children under 5 years of age that were sat at opposite ends of a half empty flight. They would not allow these families to sit together despite the flight being nearly empty.

Also, sitting at the gate or even while boarding our return flight the staff will approach you if you are white or look like a tourist and charge you for your bag even though it fit the dimensions and weight limit. As the woman was charging me for my 1 bag being ‘too large’ a women with a bag twice the size of mine walked by. I said something to her and the woman stopped her but she said something in Spanish and was just left to go and board the flight. On top of that, they allowed my husband to board the first flight with his bag, but forced him to pay for his bag the second return flight! The tag from the first flight was still on his bag!

This is the worst economy airline I’ve ever flown. The savings are definitely not worth it considering they will charge you for everything and anything that they can. I felt particular disappointed in the very apparent racism that my husband and I experienced. We noticed only westerners were being pulled out of the boarding line and forced to pay for extra luggage. There were people passing me in the boarding line (seemingly locals) with 2 bags and bags that far exceeded our 35 liter backpacks that we each had.

I certainly would never recommend flying Viva Air. You won’t save anything by the time they finish charging you for the most basic things. Personally, I would fly with an airline that treats their customers with respect and dignity. Very disheartening experience to be singled out and mistreated.

2  Thank lisangwilliams
Write a reviewReviews (843)

Reviewed 28 September 2019 via mobile

September 28, 2019 Flight VV754
Two aborted landing attempts (start through) by pilots that looked like they were 18 year olds. Pilot came on saying that runway was being cleaned, com’on. Other carriers were all on time. Seat neighbor stated same has happened to her last time when landing in Lima. Will forfeit my return ticket and re-purchase on a legacy carrier - simply not worth the risk.

1  Thank roberthb210
Reviewed 27 September 2019 via mobile

Terrible experience, they have their own internal rules not followed by other airlines: they use the small print you normally do not read to extort extra money. I have flown with them twice. Terrible staff and service

Date of travel: August 2019
1  Thank brumbrum000
Reviewed 27 September 2019 via mobile

The worst , most terrible airline ever. Scammers! They try to cheat you even if you have a valid ticket , trying to extort additional money from you with different tricks (using the small print: if you haven't read all the small print rules, you are bound to be charged extra for stulid things). The staff is most unpleasant , unfriendly and rude. I have flown twice with them. Never again!

1  Thank brumbrum000
Reviewed 26 September 2019

I've flown with many airlines, and this company is by far the worst I've experienced. It's actually the worst company I've ever dealt with in general, not just for airlines.
They admitted to purposely overbooking - and they told me they would refund me. I have been dealing with them for 10 months now and they claim it is still being "processed" but it will be in my account "any day now". They don't intend to pay back - if I had known that earlier I would've went through my credit card but they have drug me along for so long that the credit card company won't handle it now. And it wasn't a one off - there were two couples there that were being rescheduled for the 3rd time. The customer service at the airport was so terrible that things escalated so much that police had to come. It was a terrible experience that was a direct result of how they were treating their customers.

Date of travel: January 2019
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank amandaeva
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.