“Cheap flight, no frills from Chiang Mai to DMK”
Review of Thai Lion Air

Reviewed 8 November 2018

Got booked on a Thai Lion flight. Was a bit apprehensive seeing the reviews but the flight was fine. No frills from CNX to DMK on a new 737-900. It was a cheap flight and we needed to buy extra luggage. As the reviews said we tried to pay with a US issued credit card and it wouldn't work. Our option was paying per overweight kilo @ 400BHT per kilo or truing to pay at the airport. Since it was way cheaper to pay at least 4 hours hours before the flight we decided to jump in a grab the night before and head to the airport office. Luckily it was still open and we paid our extra luggage (they don't take US issued credit cards either so make sure you have plenty of baht. And make sure you get a receipt. We suspected that we might have "issues" at the airport when we checked in and we did so we showed the receipt and it was sorted out.
In-flight service is fine, well, they don't serve anything unless you pre-ordered but the flight attendants were nice. Seats ok.
Overall it got us from CNX to DMK no problem, no delays, and all our luggage made it ok. Would I take them again? I probably would if they were still on the cheap end!

Date of travel: November 2018

Reviewed 8 November 2018 via mobile

As a low cost airline, you get what you pay for and the journey was pleasant overall.

My only issue is with the booking process, I booked my flight online through a UK tour operator. When booking I received 10kg checked baggage and wanted to pay the extra to increase it to 20kg. I tried directly on the thai lion air website to add the Additional baggage however it did not accept any of my credit cards. A friend also traveling with me tried the same and was also unsuccessful.

I decided to buy an international calling card as it was cheaper to add the baggage in advance rather than at the airport. I spoke to a member of staff for 25 mins and was then told that they do not accept credit cards from the UK, which I found ridiculous.

Luckily my friend arrived in Bangkok early so paid for my additional baggage prior to my flight at the discounted rate.

I think as the majority of people using the airline are foreigners it’s essential to accept foreign credit cards, apart from this issue which didn’t affect my flight, everything else was good.

I would fly with this airline again.

Date of travel: November 2018
Reviewed 4 November 2018

On time and well managed. Slightly surprised with Krabi airport. There were no departure boards in the lounge once you go through security so no way of knowing the status of the flight. Luckily ours was on time. The lounge was full of three flights all leaving at the same time to go to Bangkok but with three different airlines. All a bit confusing when it came to boarding as the three gates were right next to each other i.e. about 3 metres apart!

Date of travel: October 2018
Reviewed 31 October 2018

THIS IS BY FAR THE WORST AIRLINE COMPANY I EVER FLEW WITH!
If you have ANY other option, go for it and DON'T choose Thai lion air!

I flew with them 4 times during my stay in Thailand, and this was the worst flight experience in my entire life.I consider myself a veteran travelled,I have militar and civilian skydive experience and I've been to 42 countries so far throughout several continents, so imagine the ammount of airlines I travelled with and the ammount of planes I've been in.

With Thai Lion Air, everything bad happened. Since the first moment I knew this would be a BAD experience, just judging by the incompetence of the staff I dealt with.

They were able to damage my luggage not once, but TWICE, failed to asume any responsibility and even refused to assist me in the process!

When I arrived to Chiang Mai coming from Bangkok, I picked up my luggage and immediatelly noticed that the handle and combination lock on my suitcase were completelly damaged, soI went to the airline counter to file a claim.
I was out of my mind when I was welcomed by an employee who didn't speak ANY english and that was acompanied by two other employees that were sleeping in their workplace!
But when I say there were sleeping I mean stone cold!
I was inside of the office for over half an hour while this poor woman was trying to comunicate with me and these 2 others were just there sleeping on the chairs the whole time, only one opened her eyes the whole time for like 10 seconds, just to turn the other way around and sleep better. Incredible they even complained in Thay about the noise or something.

******This wasn't in the backstage of the airport, this was the LOBBY of Chiang Mai airport and MAIN OFFICE of Thai Air Lion!!! and it was not even night time, it was at the end of the afternoon!!! This is a situation I consider to be completelly unacceptable!****

I was shown a series of pictures with "coverred damages" and I was informed that the airline would not assume any responsibility for what happened to my suitcase...This was a BROKEN handle and lock combination, so the lugage was rendered useless.
When I wanted to complain, the only person there not sleeping, gave me an e-mail written down in a piece of paper, to which I sent severral e-mails and didn't get a single reply until today!!!
I was left with a 140€ loss on that single flight, because of this airline company. Because of this I had to buy a new suitcase in Chiang Mai, which was totally overpriced, because these items are expensive in Thailand.

Of course, I was tottally shocked when the same HAPPENED AGAIN when I returned to Bangkok!!!!!

I had to pay even more in Bangkok for a new suitcase (240€), because it's even more expensive there then in Chiang Mai!!
My brand new suitcase, bought only 4 days before in Chiang May (due to negligence of the airline company), now had a broken wheel, a broken combination lock (again) and a major hole in one of the corners.
This time atleast the staff wasn't sleeping.
Again, as in Chiang May, the office from Bangkok didn't asume any responsibility and even denied to provide any contact details where I could file a complaint, so I filed a complaint in the turist police, which is useless since as a tourist once I'm gone this is filed and forgotten.

Overrall, apart from this VERY BAD personal experience, this is my general opinion about this airline company:
The seats were "oldschool" to put it gently, totally unconfortable. The majority of the stewartesses were unfriendly and uncooperative, I requested assistance while onboard with the seatbelt (couldn't get it to close!), overhead compartments (didn't work), etc and I was always greeted with a bad posture and rude behaviour. I'm not the kind of person to get offended easily, so trust me on my words when I say it was BAD.
No entertainment on board whatsoever, the food is BAD and very overpriced, you pay double to what you would have paid even on the airport restaurants, for a quality equal to street food.

On top of all of this, and more importantly, in my opinion the airplanes used by the company don't seem reliable.
I've been in 3rd world countries with airports in the middle of nowhere that have better aircrafts then the ones from Thai Lion Air.

On 2 of the 4 times I flew with them, while we were on cruise (the part where you go the most fast and high), I noticed a very abnormal sound coming from one of the wings. It was a preety noticeable situatio, since several people were worried and questione the staff in Thai. Since I don't speak or understand Thai, it was terrifying for me to see the staff sit down the whole trip with the seatbealt fastened while people had a worried face the entire trip.
I called one of the stewards and asked if everything was ok and she informed that this was normal, "it's just the flaps"...for someone who isn't even remotelly scarred of flying This information (provided in clear English), got me concerned, because flaps aren't suposed to be opened when you are that high.
I noticed ON BOTH flights (different aircrafts and staff) that during descent the flaps were NOT working OK. There was a loud mechanical noise everytime they moved. I find it difficult to explain what type of noise it was, but I think the most similar is the sound that metal parts make when they aren't properly lubricated, as if some parts were jammed inside of the flaps or as if the hinges of the flaps were faulty...It was extremelly noticeable during descend. As I'm not an expert I would ask someone who is, to tell me if this is normal in any well mantained aircraft....because on the THOUSANDS of flights I took, I NEVER saw or heard anything remotelly similar to this. And this happened TWICE, with TWO different aircrafts from the same company. On the second flight it was even worst, since on top of this there was a lot of noise coming from the left motor, as if it wasn't spinning well.

Just check by yourself some of the most common issues that cause airplane incidents...these are two of them. Actually, just check the latest airplane incident in Indonesia from Lion Air (the parent airline, from which Thai Lion Air is a subsidiary), and make your own conclusions regarding all of this.
My best advise is to STAY AWAY from this airline.

Date of travel: October 2018
1  Thank Ruben M
Reviewed 30 October 2018

Quick, easy, and friendly. The booking was really easy and the plane was very clean and comfortable. I would definitely fly Thai lion again!

Date of travel: September 2018