We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week in Kalamaki

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
31 reviews
22 helpful votes
Week in Kalamaki
Save

Morning all,

Myself and my partner are travelling to Kalamaki for a week 20th June.

Not knowing the area at all, we like to travel to different places- can anyone give us an idea or tips what to do?

We like all kinds of things, I see from other websites that Chania Town is lovely and easily accessible?

If there is anything else that is worth doing, along a bus route or a short taxi ride...could you advise?

3 replies to this topic
Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
2 468 posts
8 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: Week in Kalamaki
Save

Which Kalamaki?

The one near Chania, or the one on the south coast near Matala?

Metz, France
Level Contributor
7 posts
72 reviews
53 helpful votes
2. Re: Week in Kalamaki
Save

Hi,

I would recommend to rent a car - you are much more flexible to reach interesting spots and travelling by bus is not so easy if you want to reach the mountains. If you like hiking climb the Kofinas in the Asteroussias Mountain range from Kapetaniana or visit Zaros Gorge, but do not forget good mountain boots, the vegetation on Crete is always spiky.

If you like culture visit the minoan palace of Phaistos/Festos, its much nicer than the Knossos site.

Chania is nice, but will be a really long drive - for me too much for a one day visit. I suggest to visit Rethymno, easier to reach. If its hot weather and you look for a cool place try Patsos Gorge north of Spili - a beautiful place and a nice tavern closeby.

Metz, France
Level Contributor
7 posts
72 reviews
53 helpful votes
3. Re: Week in Kalamaki
Save

Ah, I have seen there are two different Kalamaki's on Crete - so if you are in Chania Prefecture, Chania and Rethymno will be both very nice towns recommended to visit. Concerning hiking there is Diktamos Gorge south of Chania very interesting and not overcrowded like Samaria, you can even manage this by taxi from Chania.

The northern part of the half-island of Akrotiri with convents and canyons and beautiful coastal landscape can be also of interest.

Reply to: Week in Kalamaki
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kalamaki
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.