We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four Days in Castro Urdiales

Mullingar
Level Contributor
33 posts
24 reviews
35 helpful votes
Four Days in Castro Urdiales
Save

We are spending four days in Castro Urdiales in late July . We hope to do this using public transport while we are there. I would welcome any suggestions for activities in the area /adjoining places to see. We like to walk a lot so any suggestions for walks off the beaten track will be very welcome. Also suggestions of good local restaurants . Thank you

4 replies to this topic
Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
2 531 posts
110 reviews
193 helpful votes
1. Re: Four Days in Castro Urdiales
Save

Ooo lovely! Well Castro is a lovely town. Eating wise you'll find lots of wonderful tapas bars on the port front, as well as more formal restaurants, and in the nearby pedestrianised areas lots of bars and places to eat too. Our vote for best seafood tapas goes to the Marisqueria Alfredo with its blue awning, you'll be fighting for one of its few tables, but it's worth it!

As for day trips by public transport, well Castro is on the main W/E bus route, so you've got some key cities covered there, however it's not fantastically connected to other smaller places. You can use this site to check out public transport times and options: http://transportedecantabria.es/

You can easily get the bus to Santander, which I'd recommend as a full day trip for a sunny day, visit the Sardinero beach area, the Magdalena palace and peninsula, walk along the seafront promenade, visit a museum, have a yummy lunch and possibly even take the boat over to Somo beach for a walk. If you got there early, you could also take another bus to Santillana del Mar for the afternoon or morning to get that in as part of your trip.

You can also easily get to Bilbao from Castro, there are lots of buses, and it's easily done as a day trip to visit the Guggenheim, old town, museums, have a nice pintxo lunch etc.

You can also get to Laredo easily by bus, great long beach and small but nice old town, wouldn't be top of my list, but it's another option.

What Castro does have also, but is normally overlooked, is a really interesting mining past too. And as a result, an excellent network of "Via Verdes", old reclaimed mining railways, now converted into bike and walking paths. This means you've got access to some interesting places straight from the town centre, you can check them out here: http://www.viasverdescastrourdiales.es/

There is some excellent hiking around Castro too, but you may have trouble getting there via public transport. To name a few hikes:

Monte Buciero - this is the huge mountainous headland next to Santoña, excellent network of walks with stunning views, lighthouses and other surprises, accessible from Santoña town: http://www.turismosantona.com/english/rutas_buciero.php

Monte Candina - this is another huge mound of previous mined limestone next to the sea with its cliff living vulture colony, and the impressive Ojo del Diablo rock arch, overlooking the vultures and Sonabia beach below. Great walk from the picnic area just off the motorway heading down to Liendo: http://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=4911822 (there are various routes around Monte Candina, but this is the most straightforward and reliable)

Liendo - if you can get to this little village, just beyond Monte Candina, there is a lovely hidden beach, the Playa de San Julian, and a nice, easy, short costal walk from the beach/town well marked: http://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=5961836

There's also loads of great walking around Ramales de la Victoria up in the mountains, close to Castro by car, and lots of interesting villages to visit around there too.

To be honest, if you're looking to walk and visit places from Castro, you'll find it much easier with a car! If you're happy just to enjoy the towns mentioned and the beaches in Castro itself, then you could rely on public transport, but otherwise I think you might find it quite restrictive. If you do decide to hire a car, get back to me and I'll give you some more suggestions in the area for walks and places to visit which are more car dependant.

Mullingar
Level Contributor
33 posts
24 reviews
35 helpful votes
2. Re: Four Days in Castro Urdiales
Save

Thank you so much for your wonderful 'essay' full of brilliant suggestions.. thank you so much for taking so much time to supply us with such detailed itineraries! We are staying in Ibarrangelu for the first week of our holiday and have a car rented and as we both drive so much for our work we usually try to leave a car free week f possible. You have given us so many ideas .. thanks again for all your time and I am really looking forward to exploring Castro and surrounds now!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1 post
101 reviews
77 helpful votes
3. Re: Four Days in Castro Urdiales
Save

Hiya! I would love to hear more about hiking trail near Castro. We will have a rental car and can do up to aprox. 20 km per day. Arrival late July. Thanks!!

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
2 531 posts
110 reviews
193 helpful votes
4. Re: Four Days in Castro Urdiales
Save

Aside from the routes I've already mentioned there (I'd recommend the Ojos del Diablo route on Monte Candina), you could also head up to Ramales area as I said, you can find my experiences up there a couple of years ago, and links to walks on my blog post here: https://ratoncantabria.wordpress.com/2014/09/24/adventures-in-the-ason/

Reply to: Four Days in Castro Urdiales
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Castro Urdiales
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.