We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condition of the R26

1 post
Condition of the R26

We are planning of travelling from East London through to Clarens and we have 3 routes which we are considering. Would anyone know the current condition of the R26 between Aliwal North, Ficksburg through to Clarens. I have heard that the potholes are seriously bad but would love to hear from someone who has travelled that section more recently.

1 reply
Centurion, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
15 helpful votes
1. Re: Condition of the R26

We travelled from Clarens via Bethlehem and Frankfort to Villiers today (18 October 2023)

Frankfort to Bethlehem is in very good condition, a few tar-filled potholes but comfortably driveable.

Beware when driving in the vicinity of Frankfort and Bethlehem. The speed limit drops to 60km way outside of these towns and may not be signposted, especially outbound.

I was driving north out of Bethlehem about 5 miles past the most outlying buildings on an open road and got a warning from the car hire company that I was exceeding the speed limit

Reply to: Condition of the R26
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Clarens
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.