We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clarens - Bethlehem - Fouriesburg - Clarens: road condition?

London
Level Contributor
649 posts
6 reviews
40 helpful votes
Clarens – Bethlehem – Fouriesburg – Clarens: road condition?

I shall be in Clarens next month and would like to drive the Clarens – R712 to Bethlehem – R26 to Fouriesburg – R711 back to Clarens loop. I have ancestors who were in/around the Brandwater Basin during the Anglo-Boer War, so I’d like to get a feel for the lay of the land – and of Retief’s Nek and Surrender Hill in particular.

Does anyone have any recent experience of these roads? I realise that I may need to be prepared for potholes, but it would be great to know if this is likely to be a long and/or difficult drive.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

2 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 183 posts
42 reviews
53 helpful votes
1. Re: Clarens – Bethlehem – Fouriesburg – Clarens: road condition?

To check your route for road condition warnings for South Africa see link. You can plug in your route and see warnings on the inter active map which provides details e.g. obstructions, road collapse etc with start and end date.

https://aa.co.za/road-conditions-and-distance-calculator/

London
Level Contributor
649 posts
6 reviews
40 helpful votes
2. Re: Clarens – Bethlehem – Fouriesburg – Clarens: road condition?

Thank you for the link. I can see that it will certainly be helpful for specific issues/events during our long road trip, but I'm not sure that the entry for 'my' bit of the R26 leaves me all that much the wiser about just how bad the road is or isn't: "Potholes at various locations between Bethlehem and Fouriesburg"...!

Reply to: Clarens – Bethlehem – Fouriesburg – Clarens: road condition?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Clarens
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.