We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vakaru - pease advise

Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
4 helpful votes
Vakaru - pease advise
Save

Hi all,

Booked for a stay at Vakaru Feb 2018 for 3 nights

Cant wait to go there..

Some of the questions that I’m asking may be silly or rhetoric but since this is something that I’m dng for the first time, any advice is really hepful.

Kindly assist-

Could you pls advise on the below-

1. Full board plus - does it include any water sport activities? Is drinking water charged?

2. Any advise on water activities- I’m a beginner to the water world, zero experience so any advice is appreciated - bring your own snorkel gear? Or pay for them at the resort?

We would like to do a bit of snorkel and scuba and any other whilst there?

3. Vegetarian food options?

4. Spa options? Prices if any?

5. Sim card or free wifi at hotel? Which is better?

6. Transfers from airport to hotel and back to airport on our return dates together is considered as a round trip right? Paid at the hotel i believe?

7. Any hidden charges that come to ur mind?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Happy vacation and happy travelling to all !!!

5 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2 342 posts
280 reviews
258 helpful votes
1. Re: Vakaru - pease advise
Save

We were in Vakarufahli in July of this year. It's a great little resort. You will enjoy your time. To answer your questions:

1. Water is free at meal times with FB+. You will receive a couple of bottles in your villa per day also. We tipped a couple of dollars everyday and found that our water was refilled twice a day. We never ran short.

2. Please ensure you can swim before snorkelling. Best to bring your own gear. While snorkelling gear can be provided we were at the dive shop one day and they were out of common sizes. The dive shop is very good. I saw a few discover scuba divers going out and the instructors are very good. If you can get Timea or Franck you'll be in excellent hands.

3. A number of vegetarian options were offered each day. I never had trouble finding anything to eat but in fairness I do eat fish.

4. Check Duniyea spa online for prices. You'll receive a complimentary 15m massage. I recommend pairing this with a longer treatment. It is not cheap but the spa is over water with a glass tile so you can watch the fish go by.

5. Definitely get a SIM card - the wifi is deplorable.

6. I cannot respond re transfers - ours were organised via our agent.

7. If you are picky with your wine you might not be happy with the FB+ offerings. There will be charges for the spa, diving and excursions (for example if you want to go see mantas or whale sharks). The mini bar is chargeable. That said on FB+ you could legitimately stay on this island and not pay a single additional expense.

Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Vakaru - pease advise
Save

Hi PugHugger,

Thanks a lot for sparing some time off of your day. Your help is much appreciated.

Dnt know to swim, I’ll try to learn something before our travel

I do need to check out sim card options

Thanks again

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2 342 posts
280 reviews
258 helpful votes
3. Re: Vakaru - pease advise
Save

Please, please, please ensure you take some swimming lessons before travelling. Snorkelling without being able to swim is simply not safe. The reef at Vakarufahli while lovely does come with some currents and seawalls that require navigating. I cannot recommend snorkelling or diving for someone who cannot swim.

If you insist on going out please ensure you pay for a snorkelling guide and ensure they know you cannot swim. They will hopefully be able to guide you to areas where you can touch down without damaging the coral (do NOT step on coral) and avoid currents.

Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Vakaru - pease advise
Save

Hi,

Apologies for the delay in my response.

Thanks a lot for all the info. I will be careful regarding the nature and our safety.

Can you please advise how much cash USD i need to carry in hand say for 5 days? For tipping or purchases?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2 342 posts
280 reviews
258 helpful votes
5. Re: Vakaru - pease advise
Save

Tipping is very much a personal matter. There are a number of forum topics dedicated to the same.

I tip the room boy $5 every one or two days.

Our waiter we tip $5 per day but once halfway through the stay and the other time at the end rather than daily.

For excursions as we are daily divers we tip a lump sum at the end to the boat (which has a tip box). I cannot recall exactly what that was but I think about 10 - $15 a day it worked out to be.

There will be others who tip more than we do and others who tip less.

Reply to: Vakaru - pease advise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vakarufalhi Island
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.