We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our sad experience in Mykonos last week

San Francisco...
5 posts
Our sad experience in Mykonos last week

We visited Mykonos from California, USA, last week. On July 30th, 2018, around 4:15pm, we entered Joanna's Knitworks behind Paraportiani Orthodox Church. I am a man of Indian origin and I had my wife, my two teenage boys, a lady friend and her teenage daughter with me. The shopkeeper told us that the shop is not meant for gypsies and that we stink and asked us to get out. He shouted several F... words at us. Even after we left the shop he continued screaming through the window. We felt humiliated and insulted, especially that our kids had to experience this. I am posting this so that others dont have to experience this mean individual in an otherwise beautiful and friendly place.

21 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12 268 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: Our sad experience in Mykonos last week

This is not sad, it’s appalling!

It’s not the first time I’ve seen a report of rude behavior there, so sorry you had to experience this, especially with the children :(

Edit: I can’t remember where I’ve seen the place mentioned before, but just looked on google maps & there’s also a review on there about rude behaviour, maybe you’d like to add your comments.

6 posts
2. Re: Our sad experience in Mykonos last week

Racism everywhere.

Strict croon must be taken. Did you happen to see the news of British airways offloading Indian passengers with a child for not reason.

San Francisco...
5 posts
3. Re: Our sad experience in Mykonos last week

Thanks, Yiassas. But we had an otherwise pleasant experience. There are a few individuals who leave a bad taste in the mouth. Can you please send me a link to the Google maps review? Regards, Gerry

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
15 983 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Our sad experience in Mykonos last week

That is awful. But glad to hear you realise it was very untypical of Greece & you did not let it spoil your trip. There are some sad, pathetic people in this world.

San Francisco...
5 posts
5. Re: Our sad experience in Mykonos last week

Thanks, Meggna.

San Francisco...
5 posts
6. Re: Our sad experience in Mykonos last week

Thanks, Tsipouro. We went on to Santorini and then Athens and had a really awesome time:)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12 268 posts
80 reviews
7. Re: Our sad experience in Mykonos last week

Not sure if this will do it,

Ioanna's Knitworks

Agia Moni Square, Mikonos 846 00

https://goo.gl/maps/HhuYpiqj68q

If it doesn’t work just zoom in on Little Venice & you’ll see the shop marked, tap on it & you’ll see the review.

San Francisco...
5 posts
8. Re: Our sad experience in Mykonos last week

Thanks. That's the shop. And I added my review on Google as well.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5 835 posts
9. Re: Our sad experience in Mykonos last week

Maybe it has Nothing to do with you but mykonos is having a terrible problem with gypsies right now,who are raiding and stealing through the island..mykonos residents are outaged by this..more info about it in this greek news site here (you can google translate)

https:/…

Maybe he has already been a victim of them and mistook you for them due to your skin colour..eitherway i hope you did not let it ruin your trip.

Edited: 11 August 2018, 01:33
East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
1 806 posts
35 reviews
10. Re: Our sad experience in Mykonos last week

The above post is correct. We saw many more gypsies this year on Mykonos especially along the harbour front and in town. Walking around we had to be extra careful as young gypsy kids came up to us very close trying to sell cheap tate and at night we saw beggars sitting along the main walkways and flower sellers who wouldn't leave people alone

Edited: 14 August 2018, 18:24
Reply to: Our sad experience in Mykonos last week
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mykonos Town
Recent Conversations