We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will it suit us

Stoke-on-Trent...
7 posts
Will it suit us

We are a 40 year old couple, that are thinking of either going to Mykonos Town or Skiathos Town. Mykonos looks really nice but i have a couple of concerns.

Will we be too old, is it more for younger people?- we want some nice restaurants and bars but not hectic nights

I know after reading comments on the internet that a lot of gay people go, which does not bother us and single people go there but does the Town have a lot of couples that holiday there (straight) and are they a mixture of age groups

13 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8 304 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Will it suit us

There is a wide variety of age and lifestyle groups that go to Mykonos, including plenty of couples who are much older than yourselves, so there is no need to be concerned that the island wouldn't suit you. You are definitely not too old for Mykonos. The island has a big percentage of repeat visitors who are over 40.

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
1 283 posts
80 reviews
2. Re: Will it suit us

We are in our mid 50,s and 60,s and continue to enjoy Mykonos each year..

Stoke-on-Trent...
7 posts
3. Re: Will it suit us

Thanks very much. Mykonos town looks really nice, very tempted to book

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
1 822 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Will it suit us

Mykonos town is one of the most scenic of any Greek islands and well worth a visit. We see all age groups on Mykonos young and old ranging from babies in prams to old age pensioners so being 40 will be no problem at all for you. There are many nice restaurants and bars in town and also at the beach resorts to eat and drink at and even in high season you can always find somewhere more chilled to relax at and avoid the crowds if you so wish to

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
51 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Will it suit us

Also consider your daily spending budget. We just did a dual stay in Myonos and Syros, and identical meals were priced significantly differently, with Mykonos being at least double the price - the meals really looked/tasted identical! Fortunately, we were in Mykonos first and do didn’t realise (to some extent) the extortionate prices we’d been paying.

I found there to be lots of couples walking around the town at night and in bars, so you don’t need to worry about not fitting in - although there were an awful lot of Chanel bags (fake?) around, so I didn’t feel I fitted in from that perspective.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8 304 posts
69 reviews
6. Re: Will it suit us

<We just did a dual stay in Myonos and Syros, and identical meals were priced significantly differently, with Mykonos being at least double the price - the meals really looked/tasted identical!>

Comparing anything on Mykonos to Syros -- or any other island, for that matter -- is like comparing apples with oranges. Mykonos is not a typical Greek island in that its tourist industry is predominantly aimed at the affluent traveller and celebrity market. No other Greek island has as many high-end hotels, fashion designer boutiques, beach clubs and bars, and no other Greek island attracts as many international sports, movie, music and fashion celebrities as Mykonos. That kind of clientele alone guarantees prices will be higher, but the fact Mykonos is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Greece is another big reason for the fact things cost more there. Real estate, operating and staffing costs are higher there, too.

Many consider Mykonos prices to be "extortionate," but to expect such an in-demand destination to have the same prices as less popular islands is unrealistic.

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
51 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Will it suit us

Just raising it as I’d read Mykonos was expensive but hadn’t realised how so until after we left. When we were there we didn’t think it was too bad (used to prices in France and Ibiza) until we compared the prices in Syros. We were spending at least €300 a day for two (excluding car hire and accommodation which came with breakfast) and were being reasonably cautious with money.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8 304 posts
69 reviews
8. Re: Will it suit us

If your €300/day spend was what you incurred being "reasonably cautious," I'd love to have your travel budget! I don't think we've ever paid even half that, for two, on our trips to Mykonos.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
62 reviews
9. Re: Will it suit us

Have stayed in both, mykonos town 3 weeks ago.

Have done many islands and although enjoyed Mykonos Town- stayed at Vencia boutique hotel before departing to Paros. Triple the budget needed at least compared to Skiathos. Skiathos is less expensive, less windy and less busy.

Beaches are better too.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 585 posts
221 reviews
10. Re: Will it suit us

I'm 70+ and have stayed at the Vencia Boutique Hotel twice. I didn't feel too old at all. Correction: I did feel too old when thinking about walking back up the narrow steep streets to the hotel. I always walked down but got a taxi back for 5 euros (old right knee!). The buffet breakfast and dinner were great, as were drinks at the poolside. There was nothing like at the end of the day just hanging on the edge of the infinity pool looking down to the little town and the sea. The staff have always been just fabulous and so helpful. I didn't notice any gay people, but I guess I was too busy looking at the shops. It was worth every penny, sorry, euro and I highly recommend Mykonos and the Vencia.

Reply to: Will it suit us
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mykonos Town
Recent Conversations