We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry reliability and questions

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
143 posts
298 reviews
Ferry reliability and questions

Can you tell me how reliable and TIMELY the ferries are? Do they run like clockwork??

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to plan whether I'm going to Santorini or Mykonos first.

Returning back to Athens on Saturday October 27.

I could take the ferry that leaves Santorini 1200/noon and arrives 1640 (4:40pm) for my flight that evening. Flight departs 7:45pm. Is that enough time between arrival at port and getting to airport (how far apart are they?) and is there enough time to check-in/security etc.?

The other options/flights I'm looking at for either Santorini or Mykonosis are both very early, departing around 8 am and arrive Athens after 9 am so I have most of a day to wander but I'll have to lug around my suitcase. I will already have a couple of days in Athens before the islands so don't really need the last day there but I don't want to cut it too close for my flight back to USA.

I'm basically just looking at RyanAir flights because I think their planes are bigger. I saw Olympic plane that had propellers and those scare me.

What is a 4 hour ferry ride like? The shorter ferry ride arrives too late for sure. Is it scenic? or you're just inside a boat in a big room with seats? Is there a bar?

Thanks for your help.

7 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Ferry reliability and questions

There is direct bus from both Rafina and Piraeus port towards the airport. You never know though with the strikes, usually there is a 10-15 minutes delay with the ferries and the maximum was 1 hour for me.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8 798 posts
2. Re: Ferry reliability and questions

You would be better off heading for the islands first and saving Athens for the end of your trip, then you wouldn't have to worry getting back to the mainland the same day as your flight home. Also, as things begin to close on the islands in October, the earlier the better IMO.

Don't know why planes with propellers scare you. They use the same type turbine engines as jets, with propellers instead of thrust. What would scare me, considering the number of Ryan Air cancellations this summer, is depending upon them to get me back to Athens in time for a same day flight home.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
71 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Ferry reliability and questions

I agree with the previous post. Ferries run late many many times.

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
143 posts
298 reviews
4. Re: Ferry reliability and questions

Thanks for the input. I did rearrange so that I'll do the islands first and return to Athens at the end. So glad I checked on TA first.

And as far as the propeller planes, well it's just that all small planes (and big planes) scare me. I need to take a pill, but a small prop plane might have me in a total panic attack. Hopefully I'll be so calm from the sunsets but travel logistics can have me a bit frazzled.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8 798 posts
5. Re: Ferry reliability and questions

Okay then, if you wish to fly to/from Mykonos or Santorini, go on the Aegean Airlines website https://en.aegeanair.com and check on the flights. Click on the flight number, and it will tell you which aircraft will be used. The little logo next to the flight number will tell you if it is operated by Aegean Airlines or Olympic Air.

All the Aegean Airlines flights are with Airbus A320 or A321 jets, the same size as the Boeing 737 jets used by Ryanair. The Olympic Air flights are usually with Dash 8-400 turboprops which you don't want to use.

Incidentally there were more cancellations of Ryanair flights today from their UK hub near where I live, and lots of unhappy passengers. Given a choice, I wouldn't book a Ryanair flight until they sort out their problems.

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
143 posts
298 reviews
6. Re: Ferry reliability and questions

Perfect! Thank you. Yes, I already bought my flight to Santorini and return from Mykonos on Aegean because of the reasons you stated (I saw A320). I have a ferryjumper between Santorini and Mykonos. I got hotels reserved each place. So I think logistically I'm all set!! I don't really have any island "plans" tho except to eat, drink beer, watch sunsets, walk, winery and probably do some sort of local shopping and sight-seeing if you have a "must see/do" let me know. I considered doing an organized tour with all the logistics planned for me, non-stop action, timetables to follow etc etc... but that's not really my style. Too laid back and like doing whatever I want whenever I want. Can't wait!

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8 798 posts
7. Re: Ferry reliability and questions

Good plan, and you should have a wonderful time! Late October will still have good weather, and the crowds that affect these two islands in the summer will be gone by then. Check the the “Things to do” at the top of this page and the one on the Santorini forum. Santorini and Mykonos have the two best archaeological sites in the Cyclades, Akrotiri and Delos respectively, the site on Delos reached by boat from Mykonos Town.

Reply to: Ferry reliability and questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mykonos Town
Recent Conversations