We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shortest walking distance to Mykonos night life/ restaurants

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
shortest walking distance to Mykonos night life/ restaurants

Hi all! Me and my friend are going to Mykonos from May 21-May 28. We are 23 and 24. This is our first time going there and we are so excited!!! We are from the city so naturally we love to party. Just a few questions from you lovely travelers:

1.) what is the closest hotel to town? I mean we will be going out in the night and I’ve read it’s hard to hail a cab at night?

We originally had Aeolsos Mykonos hotel but saw horrific reviews about the walking distance. Now we are thinking about hotel carboniki or hotel tagoo. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2.) I know the party time/peak is July and August and I’ve already gotten over the fact that there probably will not be a lot of people out. However, if you’ve been there in a may, please help a girl out!

3.) I’ve narrowed it down to the most important factors of a hotel we want: price, included breakfast, and walking distance.

4.) best place to transfer dollars to euro.

Thank you in advance and safe travels to all!!!!

12 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8 290 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: shortest walking distance to Mykonos night life/ restaurants

There are numerous hotels right in Town (by which I mean the commercial center, where scores of bars, clubs, shops and restaurants are located) and dozens more within short walking distance on the hillsides that surround the commercial area.

At the time of May you are travelling you shouldn't have a problem getting a taxi at night. During July and August, yes, but late May,no.

Carbonaki Hotel is a nice spot and it's right in the heart of the commercial center. I can't recall if they include breakfast in their room rates. No views from this property, however. Hotel Tagoo is great -- I have stayed there 5 times -- but it's approx. 15 minutes' walking distance to the center. Much closer than Aeolos. It has a good breakfast, amazing views and terrific staff.

Use ATMs to withdraw cash. Greek ATMs don't charge withdrawal fees, so you will be charged a withdrawal fee (and currency exchange fee) only by your home bank.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 964 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: shortest walking distance to Mykonos night life/ restaurants

I have been there in May and it was so quiet. Many other wonderful places in Greece which are busier at this time of year. The nightlife as you say yourself will not be on. May is early for Greece but it is a month I usually go and usually have good weather. So many lovely places in the spring with greenery and spring flowers. This island is very barren and not much to see out of the main town unless you want beaches.

Edited: 23 February 2018, 15:09
East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
1 806 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: shortest walking distance to Mykonos night life/ restaurants

Hi for the sheer convenience of being within easy walking distance to all the bars and restaurants and buses to the popular southern beaches then the carbonaki is certainly a good place to base yourself. Its not a luxury hotel or anything like the Tagoo but then again its not so expensive either. Breakfast is available but not included in the room rate its €12 per person per night

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8 290 posts
69 reviews
4. Re: shortest walking distance to Mykonos night life/ restaurants

<<Its not a luxury hotel or anything like the Tagoo>>

The OP inquired about Hotel Tagoo, which is a budget hotel, snaphappychap -- completely different class of accommodations than the 5-star Cavo Tagoo.

€12 per person for breakfast? Ouch!

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: shortest walking distance to Mykonos night life/ restaurants

hello. thanks for the response. what time did you go to greece? the only reason we are going in may is because i start shooting a movie in June till September. hoping for the best.

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: shortest walking distance to Mykonos night life/ restaurants

thanks so much donny! really appreciate your feedback. my main concern is staying at a hotel that i enjoy w/ views. hotel tagoos rooms do look a bit dated, but i dont mind staying there if we can easily get a taxi.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8 290 posts
69 reviews
7. Re: shortest walking distance to Mykonos night life/ restaurants

Most of my trips to Mykonos have been in May.

I have never found it a problem to find a taxi in May since it's low season.

If the Hotel Tagoo decor looks too dated for you, take a look at Omiros Hotel (a few minutes' closer to town), and Mykonos View hotel (which is less than half the distance from bars, etc. than Hotel Tagoo). Both are located on the same side of town above the Old Port.

On the opposite side of town take a look at the Ilio Maris hotel (very short walk to the commercial area of town) and the Mykonos Beach Hotel (the latter is situated above Megali Ammos beach, similar walking distance to bars etc. as Hotel Tagoo.)

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
1 806 posts
35 reviews
8. Re: shortest walking distance to Mykonos night life/ restaurants

Sorry my mistake next time I make sure i have my reading glasses on! Take a look at Mykonos chora residences. We have stayed at these apartments many times and they are super convenient for buses, nightlife and are very quiet plus a sea view from the upper rooms. They have only just become available on booking.com from yesterday so they still have availability at present but they are very popular and will soon sell out and breakfast is included

Edited: 23 February 2018, 17:05
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
23 109 posts
110 reviews
9. Re: shortest walking distance to Mykonos night life/ restaurants

WE went in May 2016 and stayed at the Poseidon Hotel , rates were good ( the rates go up A LOT in June)

Very nice hotel , incredible included buffet breakfast , views are amazing from breakfast patio and from pool !!!

It's literally a three minute walk to town , if that , and no big hill! It's just up and around corner from bus station so easy to visit other beaches and party places on island !!

Take a look at it , if rates are good snapnit up ! We tried to book it last year in September and rates were super high , but in May you may get lucky .

Mykonos, Greece
Level Contributor
265 posts
62 reviews
10. Re: shortest walking distance to Mykonos night life/ restaurants

Carbonaki

Reply to: shortest walking distance to Mykonos night life/ restaurants
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mykonos Town
Recent Conversations