We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winds Mykonos July

Lancaster, England...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Winds Mykonos July

I have recently booked to take my family for a week in Platys Gialos on july 11th. Its a little over our budget but the island just looks so beautiful. I have just been reading about the winds in Mykonos. Some people are saying it can be cold during the day and very cold at night, I am hoping that is not the case. We have been to Cyprus, Rhodes and Corfu before and the nights have always been Idyllic.

I guess my question can anyone tell me are the winds sufficient to spoil your holiday.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
6 replies to this topic
East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
1 593 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winds Mykonos July

HI July is usually when we visit Mykonos and we have never had cold days or cold nights whether there is a strong wind blowing or not. Temperatures daytime usually range between 32 and 25 and nighttimes 25 to 20 it varies so much depending on the strength of the wind. Last year mid July it was hot about 30 degrees daytime and humid at night 26 due to the lack of wind and the same at the beginning of September but other years when we have visited Mykonos we have experienced gale force winds which can make mild temperatures feel a lot cooler especially in exposed places. Mykonos is such a beautiful island the winds is just part of its unique experience so just go and enjoy yourselves and even though the wind can be a bit annoying at times it doesn't spoil our enjoyment. Hope this helps

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13 375 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winds Mykonos July

It's not cold in July, the wind is useful in cooling you down during the day.

In the evening it depends where you are.

The old harbour front in Mykonos town faces north and the wind is enough to drive people away in the evening, buildings shelter the rest of town. However Platis Gialos face south and buildings shelter you from the wind so it won't be a problem.

That wind is westerly on Rhodes thus affects the west coast resorts and in Rhodes town only the westerly seafront road, buildings shelter the rest of Rhodes town and of course resorts on the SE coast are shelter by mountains on the island.

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos Town
Mykonos Town
Mykonos, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Lancaster, England...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Winds Mykonos July

Thanks guys, is it still warm enough for t-shirts and summer dresses in the evening. My wife who has a fear of flying is asking are these winds likely to make landing terrifying.

Thanks again for taking the time to advise us

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
1 593 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winds Mykonos July

Landing is fine no problems at all. Regarding clothing shorts, t-shirts and summer dresses is the norm in July though at night times if there is a very strong wind blowing a jumper or an extra layer may be needed by the harbour front which is exposed to it. Please take note though the wind does not blow everyday and if you visit when it's calm it can feel very sticky and hot and when this happens we often hear the locals moaning about how humid it is and wanting the wind to blow again!

Lancaster, England...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Winds Mykonos July

Thank you, is only the harbour that feels cold in the evening. All the pictures we have looked at show beautiful outdoor restaurants, it would be nice to sit outside in the evening.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8 007 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winds Mykonos July

Besides harbourside/seaside areas, some hillside locations are exposed to the wind and it can be chilly in these spots. But many of the open-air restaurants in Mykonos Town are in sheltered lanes, alleys or courtyards and these patios and verandas are comfortable even in May, June, September and early October -- so you shouldn't have a problem with them in July.

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos Town
Mykonos Town
Mykonos, Greece
Reply to: Winds Mykonos July
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mykonos Town