We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Polignano a Mare as a base in October... a good choice?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
986 posts
11 reviews
Polignano a Mare as a base in October... a good choice?

Ciao Fellow Trip Advisors,

I'm heavily in Research Mode now on where to base ourselves for 5 nights in Puglia this October.

I wanted to get your Advice to find out if you think Polignano is a good home base for these 5 nights. We're also staying 2 nights in Matera.

Please let me know what you think. Here are our Requirements:

1) We want to stay right by the sea, and want a B&B or small hotel with sea views from the rooms;

2) We do have a car for daytrips and definitely want to take some cool boat trips. I heard that there are good boat trips leaving from VIESTE. Hopefully they will still run in October.

3) We want to have a good mix of city life and being on the sea and seeing great views.

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Edited: 15 July 2018, 18:24
7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3 255 posts
102 reviews
1. Re: Polignano a Mare as a base in October... a good choice?

Just back from Puglia -- we based near Fasano which was very centrally located. Pogliano A Mare is a busy little town with its iconic beach (which is quite small) and many restaurants. We did not do a boat trip while in Puglia and did not see many boats moving along the coast. In fact, we commented on it because we had just come from a week on the Amalfi Coast where there are tons of boaters. We did notice it was quite windy while we were in Puglia (not sure if that is the norm this time of year or not) but perhaps that had something to do with the absence of boats. The car is a good idea in Puglia (make sure to get your International Driver's Permit from your AAA). We were actually surprised how far towns were from each other. They looked closer on the map but the roads are quite winding in spots. There is a highway that runs along the coast/sea which looks rather industrialized but the beaches are beautiful. You should be within an hour of many of the towns if you base in Pogliano -- we drove one day from Martina Franca to Pogliano and it was just under an hour.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
986 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Polignano a Mare as a base in October... a good choice?

Thanks, Bonnie! Was there anything that stood out on your trip that you enjoyed?

Level Contributor
3 255 posts
102 reviews
3. Re: Polignano a Mare as a base in October... a good choice?

Puglia was beautiful and unlike any other place in Italy we have visited. It was mainly flat and we stayed at a beautiful masseria which has the most stunning property - this was probably the best part to us. The towns were beautiful as well but everything closes down mid-day for siesta unlike other more touristed areas of Italy, so plan accordingly. We enjoyed seeing the trulli village but were a bit disappointed at how commercialized it was -- no unique shops, only shops selling magnets and such. Our favorite town was Ostuni, which was very lively at night. We loved the scenery - the beautiful olive groves and the food was very good as well. We are not the type of travelers who spend days on end viewing art and churches. We are more interested in relaxing among the scenery, eating and exploring local towns. We are also beach people so spent quite a bit of time at various beach clubs. We did go to Matera on the way to Puglia which I highly recommend. Fascinating place. Happy to answer other questions if you have.

Edited: 15 July 2018, 23:20
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
986 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Polignano a Mare as a base in October... a good choice?

Bonnie, thanks so much! This is definitely helpful. If you could recommend one town right by the sea, where would it be? After having done a little more research, I'm looking at RODI GARGANICO, PESCHICI and VIESTE because I love the idea of taking boat trips to the Tremiti Islands.

Level Contributor
3 255 posts
102 reviews
5. Re: Polignano a Mare as a base in October... a good choice?

You are most welcome! The towns you mention are more north of where we were staying and exploring so I cannot make a recommendation. I would definitely look into weather patterns for boating in October -- as again, we were surprised at how few boats we saw out on the water the entire time we were there. My only other suggestion about choosing bases is this: I often target an area and then look into hotels. I often choose a base town based on a hotel. Being in a beautiful hotel that is reflective of the area is a priority for me and how I often trip plan. Hope that helps!

Virginia
Level Contributor
4 406 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Polignano a Mare as a base in October... a good choice?

Just reiterating to check if boat trips will be operating in October. The Gargano peninsula is somewhat isolated, making for long drives, so not as good for day trips.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
986 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Polignano a Mare as a base in October... a good choice?

LuVGoin: I did some research online. One Ferry Operator runs to Tremiti until the end of October. In Vieste, there is an established Boat Operator that does tours of all the surrounding sea caves till the end of October. Can't wait!!!

Reply to: Polignano a Mare as a base in October... a good choice?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Polignano a Mare
Recent Conversations