We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maria Rousse Studios

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Maria Rousse Studios

I am on the verge of booking here for July 18. Does anybody know if there is a website for this accommodation? I have tried searching but can't find anything. Alternatively if anyone knows of an email address for the accommodation that would be good.

Thanks in advance

23 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 803 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Maria Rousse Studios

Yes Stalis is okay probably suit you better. I visited there last year while staying in old Malia village. Plenty to do great beach and plenty of tavernas where mum can get into. Others will help with accomodation as haven't stayed there for a holiday but visited a few times. Good luck.

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Maria Rousse Studios

Thanks Pamela, it is so dificult finding the right balance of life and peace and quiet. We went to Sunny Beach in Bulgaria in 2012 and again in 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed it. While it was very lively with people enjoying themselves and lots of clubs etc, it also catered for families and had some great restaurants on the beach. In 2013 it had gone more towards the younger end and there was lots of drunken young kids and everything that goes with that and it put us off going again. I am just a bit worried now that Malia might lean more towards that side of things.

Mentioned in this post
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11 682 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Maria Rousse Studios

There is no doubt that Malia is one of several places in Greece which attracts large numbers of mainly English-speaking teenagers. It does also have an old town which is worlds away from the 'strip'. From what you say I agree with pam r that maybe Stalis would suit you better.

This is what Malia strip looks like at about 0200 on an August night:

https://flic.kr/p/LgN77w

and here is an album of the old town:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskD3wN8w

and Stalis:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskiPxsV7

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Maria Rousse Studios

That is some great information Steve, thank you. I am still really torn, the reviews for Maria Rousse are just so good, old Malia looks lovely so does Stalis, particularly around the beach road with all its tavernas and shops. If we opted to stick with Maria Rousse, how far away is the old area of Malia and also Stalis.

Ideally I want Maria Rousse to be picked up and relocated to Stalis as I am struggling to find something in Stalis that fits the budget which is tight this year. I have found Paradise Apartments but am unsure if they would be suitable.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

Mentioned in this post
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 803 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Maria Rousse Studios

With a mobility scooter I would choose Stalis. The main road in Malia where shops are I think you would find it a nightmare with a scooter. Buses, vans lorries and pavements not like England. We walked from Malia to Stalis but it is quite a way down the strip road to the road that leads into Stalis. You wouldn't want to walk the main road way. Bus isn't far but if you have scooter probably wouldn't go on bus. Maria Rousse does look nice but you aren't going to spend all the holiday in there.Are there places you want to visit while on Crete. I don't expect mum can be left for any length of time. Are you definately wanting Crete.?

Mentioned in this post
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Maria Rousse Studios

i think they are found via Olympic Holidays, its a great place to stay, the people are lovely

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Maria Rousse Studios

Yes Crete is definitely where we want this year. Mam tends to spend most of her days sitting on the balcony or terrace. We have had some busy holidays in the last few years, so this one is more of a stay by the pool or beach most days. A nice meal out with a few drinks at night and the occasional trip out somewhere, maybe a boat cruise or something like that. The main thing is that we are pretty central wherever we go and there is plenty nearby.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11 682 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Maria Rousse Studios

Maria Rousse is about 5 minutes walk to the old town.

One think I did think about Maria Rousse and suitability for the infirm is that there are 2 pool areas, both with accommodation, but they are connected by a few steps. The bar area is on the upper section, which is the one nearer the road.

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Maria Rousse Studios

Update.....

After spending most of Monday and Tuesday looking for places in Malia or Stalis, I narrowed it down 2. Maria Rousse or Villa Ritsa both had things for them and things against. In the end we have opted to book Maria Rousse, based mainly on its excellent reviews, also a nice email from George advising he just needed the booking reference and he would sort out ground floor studios for us.

It was difficult this year as the budget just wasn't as big as the last few years of Dom Rep and 2 years running in Orlando. We would normally look more for at least 4* All Inclusive whereas this year was more looking for value. I am sure everything will work out fine and we are very much looking forward to returning to Crete nearly 20 years after our first visit. The reviews for Maria Rousse are pretty outstanding especially for the price. I don't think there will be any chance of spending all night on the strip followed by a booze cruise but you never know! I think it will mostly be exploring Old Malia away from the hustle and bustle for us.

Thanks to everyone for the advice given.

Mentioned in this post
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Crete
Crete
Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 803 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Maria Rousse Studios

You will love it and the old village is lovely different to what I think you are expecting. There is an old building where the old folk go and meet with a big tree outside covered in fruits. The lovely old people were picking them and giving my great grandchildren a taste. Wonderful people. If you had thousands most of us regulars to Greece would still say a big NO to A/I in Greece. Nightime is about walking around and finding lovely tavernas and chatting. Do give us a revue when you get back please. Been a pleasure to be of help.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Reply to: Maria Rousse Studios
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Malia
Recent Conversations