We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Matatus from Nairobi to Nanyuki

I am visiting Nanyuki in February 2017 and have had a lot of experience with Matatus.

Can anyone tell me if I can get a matatu from Nairobi Kenyatta airport as I am planning to make my way straight to Nanyuki when we arrive in Kenya. If not, how far is the Matatu stage?

thanks

8 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4 674 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Matatus from Nairobi to Nanyuki

Matatus to Nanyuki leave from CBD on Accra Road.

You will have to make your way into Town from JKIA with the taxi.

Good Luck

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2 813 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Matatus from Nairobi to Nanyuki

No matatus allowed inside the airport. There is a bus into town, but its slow. I would opt for a taxi.

The stage at Accra Road isn't the safest area in town, so you shouldn't hang about there.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Matatus from Nairobi to Nanyuki

Thanks for the info and advise, that's very useful.

I've heard a lot about matatu stages in Nairobi not being very safe. Hopefully we can have one of our friends pick us up from the airport!

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Matatus from Nairobi to Nanyuki

thank you for your reply :)!!

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2 813 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Matatus from Nairobi to Nanyuki

Living in the Nyeri area, we have frequently had people travel by matatu, but only to have the vehicle turn round at, for example Karatina, as there aren't many passengers from that point and the driver decides to cut his losses and head back to Nairobi. Therefore, make sure you get a non stop service from Nairobi. There are also 11 seat vehicles, which charge more, but are much more comfortable.

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1 308 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Matatus from Nairobi to Nanyuki

Take a lift or Taxi to Accra Road and there are shuttle buses which leave as soon the required number of 11 Passengers have reached. Just hang around the Bus you have been booked into and be little alert so

no pick pocketer can prey on you... Enjoy your travel

kenya
Level Contributor
3 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Matatus from Nairobi to Nanyuki

Do the matatus drop one off at Nanyuki airport instead of town centre in Nanyuki?

Finland
Level Contributor
240 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Matatus from Nairobi to Nanyuki

A matatu drops you off wherever (almost) you ask them to. So yes, if you are going to the airstrip at Nanyuki, just tell the driver. Remind him when you leave Naromoru (a town before the airstrip, youreggnize it by many banks on the left and matatustage and open field on the right). There are also roadbumbs. The Airstrip is before Nanyuki town.

Reply to: Matatus from Nairobi to Nanyuki
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nanyuki Town