We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route time

12 posts
Route time

Hello, How long does it take to get from Dornan's to the Canyon Lodge while going the east side of the loop?

Thank you,

Nick

12 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34 994 posts
508 reviews
1. Re: Route time

About 3 hour 45 minutes to about 4 hours. It is 1.5 hours from Dornon's to south entrance of Yellowstone then about 2 hours and 15 minutes to Canyon. Of course allow extra time for traffic and wildlife jams.

12 posts
2. Re: Route time

Thank you Peach Belle!

Nick

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
25 056 posts
112 reviews
3. Re: Route time

Based on your other thread, I'd come in the West entrance on this day but the knowledge of the travel time still might be helpful for the day you transition from Canyon to Grand Tetons.

Pam

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19 654 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Route time

I"m glad PeachBelle gave you specific times. Stop at the deli in the trading post at Dornan's and get some of their fantastic sandwiches to go. We ate ours about the time we reached Canyon. Perfect picnic!

12 posts
5. Re: Route time

Thanks Pam and Onemoreroad! I am leaning towards entering the park via the West Entrance to save about two hours or more on the road.

Very helpful as always, thanks again!

Nick

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19 654 posts
95 reviews
6. Re: Route time

"I am leaning towards entering the park via the West Entrance to save about two hours or more on the road."

From Dornan's? In Moose?

Are you sure you will be "saving" that kind of time?

Are you planning to stop and see anything along the way or just do a drive through?

Edited: 17 October 2018, 04:27
12 posts
7. Re: Route time

I will be coming from the Salt Lake City area, and it sounds like it would be a lot faster to come in from the West Entrance instead of driving up through GTNP and the south entrance. Sorry for the confusing post.

Thanks,

Nick

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
7 156 posts
1 review
8. Re: Route time

>>>I will be coming from the Salt Lake City area, and it sounds like it would be a lot faster to come in from the West Entrance instead of driving up through GTNP and the south entrance. Sorry for the confusing post.<<<

Yes, since you're coming from SLC and your first night's lodging is at Canyon, it makes sense to come in through the west entrance, especially since you're spending multiple days in the Tetons at the end of your vacation.

Depending on your time as you approach West Yellowstone, I would highly recommend the short detour to see Mesa Falls. Last summer I was finally able to work in a drive over there to see them and was absolutely blown away with both the falls.

https:/…mesa-falls-scenic-byway

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-…

Deb

Edited: 17 October 2018, 14:05
12 posts
9. Re: Route time

Thanks Deb! We will definitely try to swing by Mesa Falls on the way into Yellowstone!

Thanks again,

Nick

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19 654 posts
95 reviews
10. Re: Route time

Detouring to see Mesa Falls but skipping the Tetons completely because the West Yellowstone route is "faster"?

This is a very different trip.

Enjoy the route you choose!

Reply to: Route time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted