We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary/Accommodation Advice Please

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
33 reviews
Itinerary/Accommodation Advice Please

Hi, we are a family of 4 (myself, my husband, 13 year old son and 72 year old mother) who are visiting from the UK at the end of August 2019. We are flying into Denver, visiting some of the NPs in Utah and then heading up to GTNP & YNP.

Initially our thoughts are 4 nights in GTNP and 5 nights in YNP.

We seem to have information overload!

We are quite set on Signal Mountain Lodge for our time in GTNP.

But we're not sure how much to move around and how long to spend in different sections of YNP.

From YNP we're heading out to the rodeo in Cody, so need to leave via that entrance.

Prices seem high, whilst we appreciate we should expect to pay a premium within the parks, we haven't go money to burn!

We'd very much appreciate some advice please.

Also, I assume from what I read you should book directly with Xanterra direct?

Thank you in advance.

9 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
20 398 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary/Accommodation Advice Please

Yes, prices are high. I pay more for a basic room in Yellowstone than I do for a four star hotel room in Paris. There are only about 2000 rooms total in the park and the park has an outdated booking system that allows people to book as many rooms as they want for the same night - and let them hold on to them for months before allowing free cancellations 30 days before. Hopefully, they will update their policies but prices are high. Book only via Xanterra for Yellowstone.

I would choose at least 2 locations - one to focus on the upper loop and one to focus on the lower loop. It's so hard to find rooms, you pretty much just have to book what's available.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
25 502 posts
112 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary/Accommodation Advice Please

Yes, definitely book directly with Xanterra at www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com

Some of the hotel prices in the park are eye-wateringly high. Take a look at the cabin accommodations in each area as they tend to be lower.

Will you 4 be staying in one room or will your Mum be on her own?

At Old Faithful I usually stay in the OF Lodge accommodations. I prefer the ones with an en suite because, no, I'm not getting dressed and going out for a comfort stop in the middle of the night. There are some shared bath facilities in the Old Faithful Inn that might work though - then you'd just have to go across the hall.

The least expensive shared bath lodging is around $100/night. En Suite cabins are around $160/night. There are cabins at Lake Lodge and Canyon that are a bit higher but still might fall into the reasonable category.

Remember that we add taxes on at the end so the price you book for will be higher with taxes piled on.

You can do Grand Tetons first, then Old Faithful, then Canyon or Lake, which positions you for a departure out the East entrance to Cody.

If you want to stay in gateway city accommodations, you'll find the prices about the same as in the park, certainly not much cheaper. Substitute in West Yellowstone for Old Faithful and Gardiner for Canyon or Lake.

Enjoy your planning!

Pam

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary/Accommodation Advice Please

Thanks so much for your reply. I think from a price point of view we're going to have to stay in one room whilst in YNP. We were thinking of a couple of nights in Old Faithful, 2 more in Canyon Village and the final night in Roosevelt... sound OK? There is accommodation at moment, but think we need to book asap!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
35 817 posts
509 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary/Accommodation Advice Please

Note Cody rodeo season is over August 31.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Itinerary/Accommodation Advice Please

Thank you. My schedule means we would hit the rodeo on the 31st!

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Itinerary/Accommodation Advice Please

I think I've got that wrong, the entrance for Cody isn't near Roosevelt is it? It's by the lake. Rethink....

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
25 502 posts
112 reviews
7. Re: Itinerary/Accommodation Advice Please

You ~can~ get to Cody via the NE entrance which is the closest one to Roosevelt. You'd take the NE entrance to Cooke City/Silvergate, then take Chief Joseph Scenic Highway to Cody.

Here is a googlemap view: https://goo.gl/maps/mZZCL8d8qXx

The drive time is underestimated on googlemaps. Count on at least 2h45m - 3 hours.

Pam

Edited: 17 October 2018, 00:46
Malverne, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
8. Re: Itinerary/Accommodation Advice Please

I can't offer the same high-quality advice as others here, but just finished my very first visit to the park, so I'll share my own. My partner and I heard you needed several days to a week in Yellowstone, and we laughed it off to some extent. Somehow, we DID manage to see 75% of what we wanted to see within our two full days there, but I would have felt much more relaxed if we'd had at least 4 days, and I bet even with that, there's a chance I'd have wanted more. We stayed in West Yellowstone, and honestly, the drive in was easy. If you want to stay in the park and you have the money, go for it. Sounds great! I bet the stargazing is better inside, too. :) Enjoy your trip whatever you do!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
20 398 posts
95 reviews
9. Re: Itinerary/Accommodation Advice Please

I think your post is "high quality advice"! Your opinion is as important and valid as anyone else's!

Reply to: Itinerary/Accommodation Advice Please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted