We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baton Rouge - Clarksdale via Natchez Trace Parkway

Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Baton Rouge - Clarksdale via Natchez Trace Parkway

Hi TripAdvisor's!

I am looking for some advice on my up coming road trip to the Deep South. I am nearly there with my itinerary but am stuck on a section between Baton Rouge and Clarksdale, we will be doing this stretch in one day so a distance of 5.5 hours. We are hoping to leave early in the morning and wanting to pick up the Natchez Trace but are wondering where to stop off en route for a couple of hours. The most logical stop would be Jackson which seems to be midway but i'm wondering if the city is too big for a couple of hours? Alternatively we could stop in Natchez but that would leave a long drive on the other side.

This is our first trip to the states so we want to make the most of every moment - it's our belated honeymoon.

Any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

6 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34 736 posts
505 reviews
1. Re: Baton Rouge - Clarksdale via Natchez Trace Parkway

Drive trace from Natchez and get off trace and drive a few miles west to Vicksburg then take highway 61 nicknamed the blues highway to Clarksdale.

That is most scenic. Vicksburg has nice restaurants, historic murals in downtown and Civil war national park.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52 888 posts
1 782 reviews
2. Re: Baton Rouge - Clarksdale via Natchez Trace Parkway

As pointed out, the Trace goes from Southwest, to Northeast, so a diagonal, to the east of where you wish to end up.

A zig zag is as good as you can do.

Travel safely,

Hunt

Los Alamos, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Los Alamos
Level Contributor
972 posts
216 reviews
3. Re: Baton Rouge - Clarksdale via Natchez Trace Parkway

So to re-open this, my wife and I are also thinking of a trip on the Trace this winter or early spring. (Doing so will complete a project of touring all 50 states; I've got 49 under my belt but have not yet visited Mississippi.) We are flexible on time and route details, and would prefer to take a couple of days and see local points of interest rather than just get in the car and drive-drive-drive. How long is a reasonable amount of time for seeing the interesting stuff along the route? What are the must-sees? TIA.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34 736 posts
505 reviews
4. Re: Baton Rouge - Clarksdale via Natchez Trace Parkway

I think 1 day in Natchez, 1 day in Vicksburg and one day driving Trace to Tupelo is good, then head over to Memphis if never been for a day or two then do Shiloh if into Civil War in southern TN and can continue on Trace or do interstate to Nashville or wherever you are heading next.

Other points of interest would be Clarksdale near Memphis for blues museum and Oxford near Tupelo for Ole Miss and Faulkner home, etc.

Natchez has historic plantations and Vicksburg has Civil war site, downtown area, etc. and great food.

Here is a link on ideas-

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12…

Victoria, BC Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Baton Rouge - Clarksdale via Natchez Trace Parkway

Where did you end up going (what route) and how many days in each town? I’m planning a similar trip

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34 736 posts
505 reviews
6. Re: Baton Rouge - Clarksdale via Natchez Trace Parkway

DD049,

Go to top of page and click on ask a question and post your own question.

This is an older topic. You will get better feedback.

If visiting more than just MS then post on road trip forum for multi state trips.

Reply to: Baton Rouge - Clarksdale via Natchez Trace Parkway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Natchez