We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mesa Verde info, lodging

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
1 133 posts
23 reviews
4 helpful votes
Mesa Verde info, lodging
Save

hello

I need suggestions where to stay and what to visit

Arrival from Bluff on July 24, I can see the park in the afternoons

Where to find accommodations in Cortez or Far View Lodge?

July 25 morning I go to Moab

thanks

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14 001 posts
152 reviews
159 helpful votes
1. Re: Mesa Verde info, lodging
Save

Far View Lodge in Mesa Verde National Park would be the best place to stay so that you can see the most in the very short time you have, if there are rooms available. If not, then you should be able to find lodging in Cortez. (Super 8, Best Western, Holiday Inn, etc.)

http://www.nationalparkreservations.com/mesaverde.php?gclid=CJbNlI2z77ACFUYCQAodyUheLw

http://www.visitmesaverde.com/plan/specials--packages/advance-purchase-rate.aspx?mkwid=sXHeCFV5e&crid=20923139154&mp_kw=far%20view%20lodge&mp_mt=e&gclid=CNrIqqOz77ACFQ8KKgodWyt3vA

http://www.nps.gov/meve/planyourvisit/lodging.htm

What time do you expect to arrive? And what time will you need to leave for Moab? You haven't allowed much time to see this large park! You might want to consider getting a ticket for one of the ranger led tours ($3) for early on the 25th.

Edited: 9 years ago
Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
1 133 posts
23 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Mesa Verde info, lodging
Save

I start from Bluff in the morning to take advantage of the day the same applies, for the departure Moab

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14 001 posts
152 reviews
159 helpful votes
3. Re: Mesa Verde info, lodging
Save

If you stay in the park at Far View Lodge, then I'd go to the visitor center and get a ticket for either Cliff Palace or Balcony House for the first tour on the 25th. Then you can take the rest of the day and evening to tour the self-guided sites.

The Mesa Verde trip planner suggests:

"Half Day

•Far View Visitor Center (15 miles from park entrance) for information and orientation.

•Chapin Mesa Museum and self-guided tour of Spruce Tree House -or- drive the Mesa Top

Loop Road (6-mile loop).

One Day

•Far View Visitor Center to purchase tickets for Cliff Palace or Balcony House guided tours.

•Cliff Palace Loop Road (If you plan to visit Cliff Palace or Balcony House, make sure you

have your tickets first.)

•Chapin Mesa Museum and view the park film, self-guided tour of Spruce Tree House and

drive the Mesa Top Loop Road (6-mile loop).

•Far View Sites Complex."

http://www.nps.gov/meve/planyourvisit/upload/tripplanner_07.pdf

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
1 133 posts
23 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Mesa Verde info, lodging
Save

hello

to see if I understand correctly some places Is it necessary to pay the ticket? although you do not want a tour organized ?

thanks

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14 001 posts
152 reviews
159 helpful votes
5. Re: Mesa Verde info, lodging
Save

Yes, in order to see some of the ruins, you must go with a park ranger. This costs $3. The most popular ranger tours are Cliff Palace and Balcony House. Spruce Tree House is one of the sites that you can tour by yourself.

There are commercial guided bus tours available, which might help you make the most of your limited time and be very interesting, but they are not necessary. Mesa Verde Tours' Classic Pueblo Tour does include Cliff Palace and is a half day tour starting at 1:00 pm, so if you could get there around noon, that might be a good use of your time. The cost for an adult is $41.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
1 133 posts
23 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Mesa Verde info, lodging
Save

Hello

thanks for the tips I decided to sleep in the Far View Lodge

respect tour with Renger I have to book first or directly to the place and where?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14 001 posts
152 reviews
159 helpful votes
7. Re: Mesa Verde info, lodging
Save

Tickets for the $3 ranger tours can be purchased at Far View Visitor Center, which should be your first stop. That way you can get your tickets and then plan the rest of your visit around the tour time. The rangers at the visitor center can help you decide what you have time to see before and after your tour. With the time you have, I'd recommend getting the ticket for the first tour the morning of the 25th; then you'll have the rest of the afternoon and evening to look around the visitor center, tour Spruce Tree House, and see some of the other sites, plus check in to the hotel and have dinner. Since you are staying in the park, you'll be able to attend one of the ranger talks that evening at the Morefield Campground or Far View Lodge.

You could also stop at the Colorado Welcome Center in Cortez to purchase your tour tickets if you wish.

Another option to think about if tickets are available when you get to the Far View Lodge visitor center would be a $10.00 evening ranger tour to Cliff Palace. "Twilight in Cliff Palace" is limited to only 20 people, and tickets sell out quickly. But if you happen to be able to get tickets, then you would have time for Balcony House the next morning.

Here's the link to the 2012 Summer Visitor Guide:

http://www.nps.gov/meve/planyourvisit/upload/visitorguide_summerfall12.pdf

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
1 133 posts
23 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Mesa Verde info, lodging
Save

Hi

Thanks for of useful information, you were very helpful

Have a nice day

9. Re: Mesa Verde info, lodging

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2013, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Mesa Verde National...
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.