We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Seattle to Port Townsend

Shingle Springs...
5 posts
1 review
Ferry from Seattle to Port Townsend

what is the quickest way to get from the Seattle Airport to Port Townsend without renting a car? Can I go straight from Seattle to Port Townsend? Do I have to rent a car? Do I need to take more than 1 ferry? We have a family event and will be in Port Townsend for 2 days.

23 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
1. Re: Ferry from Seattle to Port Townsend

It can be done using public transit. Here's a link for you: https:/…Port-Townsend-to-SeaTac-1-15-18.pdf

Basically it involves taking light rail from SeaTac to downtown, then taking the ferry to Bainbridge Island, and then two bus trips.

Edited: 18 September 2018, 00:17
Renton, WA
Level Contributor
5 105 posts
2. Re: Ferry from Seattle to Port Townsend

https://goo.gl/maps/WB6EwYxacrM2

This is the quickest, because it does not involve a ferry or relying on public transportation. Note the time difference between driving around the end of the Sound and taking a ferry.

Edited: 18 September 2018, 00:47
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7 622 posts
3. Re: Ferry from Seattle to Port Townsend

https://dungeness-line.com

Shingle Springs...
5 posts
1 review
4. Re: Ferry from Seattle to Port Townsend

Thank you. I will look at them at all. I definitely do not want to take the bus. Just want the quickest most cost effective way. Really don't want to rent a car and take it on the ferry. But just need options.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
5 105 posts
5. Re: Ferry from Seattle to Port Townsend

...and the winner is……………me!

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
6. Re: Ferry from Seattle to Port Townsend

Depending on when you're leaving there certainly isn't any guarantee that driving around through Tacoma will be faster than taking the ferry. Not to mention she explicitly stated that she doesn't want to rent a car.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
5 105 posts
7. Re: Ferry from Seattle to Port Townsend

"...she explicitly stated that she doesn't want to rent a car."

No. She said "Do I have to rent a car?"

Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
3 882 posts
90 reviews
8. Re: Ferry from Seattle to Port Townsend

There is no way to get to Port Townsend without riding the bus or renting a car. You must choose one or another.....

I would rent the car for convenience and then drive through Tacoma and Bremerton. This is the quickest way.

Shingle Springs...
5 posts
1 review
9. Re: Ferry from Seattle to Port Townsend

Yah, it seems renting a car is our best option, then driving there. Again, just to be clear, I can drive the whole way from Seattle to Port Townsend correct? I do NOT need to take the car on the ferry? And driving the whole way seems to be faster? I just don't understand why people who take the ferry then if driving is the fastest way?

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11 583 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Ferry from Seattle to Port Townsend

Because it's the most direct route and you spend less time actually driving with the loading and unloading and trip across the water.

Reply to: Ferry from Seattle to Port Townsend
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Seattle