We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle Shopping

Derbys
Level Contributor
11 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle Shopping

Hello,

I wondered if there was anywhere in Seattle that is anything similar to the experience of walking down 5th Avenue, NY or Oxford St, London. I'm trying to avoid Malls if I can but I don't dislike them but I just like to see architecture and get a feel for the hustle and bustle and culture.

Thanks!!

Sarah

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
18 replies to this topic
Seattle
Level Contributor
49 461 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle Shopping

Any street downtown - between Pioneer Square (south end) to Seattle Center (north end). From the Waterfront or 1st Avenue, inland to about 7th-9th Avenues is the heart of downtown.

But no, Seattle is not New York City or London, you won't find street with that kind of vibe here. You don't have to worry about avoiding "Malls"... those are out in the suburbs.

Seattle Architecture Foundation offers free walking tours, since you mention architecture and culture:

https://seattlearchitecture.org/

Or if you are interested in our humorous, spotted and shady local history, take The Underground Tour in Pioneer Square here: http://www.undergroundtour.com/

Edited: 19 June 2018, 22:51
Mentioned in this post
Pioneer Square
Pioneer Square
567 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Seattle Center
Seattle Center
1 332 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11 314 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle Shopping

Oh, that is funny. I'm not mocking you, Sarebear. I'm mocking Seattle, a city I love, warts and all. It's a wonderful, exciting, even thrilling, city in a magnificent setting with a fantastic food and drink scene, but, let's face it, folks, it is a lousy shopping town. Seattleites of both sexes, God bless them, are dowdy to the max. (They do know their hiking and biking gear, though.) Until fairly recently, it was hard to get a good haircut here, let alone a New York or London calibre dress. In shopping terms, there is nothing even remotely like Chicago here, let alone NYC or London.

If you want to understand Seattle, go the Seattle history exhibit on the second floor of the Museum of History and Industry. Then go to the Ballard Locks and walk back to downtown through Ballard and Fremont. Have dinner and a drink on Capital Hill. You'll find out what Seattle is about, and it's not fashion. It's the water, and the ships, and the music, and the unions, and the medical/scientific/technological achievements.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Museum of History & Industry
Museum of History...
743 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Hotel Ballard
Hotel Ballard
311 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Fremont
Fremont
287 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4 051 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle Shopping

The high end fashion- what very little there is of it- if it’s not at Nordstrom’s, it’s in Bellevue. In fact, in a mall- The Shops at Bravern. And I don’t recommend it. It’s not what you’re looking for, and thoroughly disappointing if you’ve been to Chicago, NYC or London (I love London shopping. I would go to London just for that)

But, yeah, fashion is just not part of the Seattle scene. I was waiting for the train today, and struck up a conversation with another PNWer— I admired her sports sandals, she admired my birkenstocks, and we both solemnly agreed that it was perhaps time to buy sunscreen. That’s a fashion discussion here! If we dig deeper, we hit on rain jackets and fleece. You know, the truly important things in life;)

Find somewhere on the water and people watch. Ride a ferry, eat seafood, go to a local event.

Mentioned in this post
Nordstrom
Nordstrom
87 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Bellevue
Bellevue
Washington
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5 312 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle Shopping

There is nothing remotely akin to Fifth Ave anywhere remotely near the Pacific Northwest. Having said that, not all native Washingtonians are wed to fleece & sport sandals & discussions of sunscreen. Ack! It's a sad & cringey stereotype. But hey, at this point, anything that distinguishes the region from Anywhere Else, lol.

~ Colleen

Derbys
Level Contributor
11 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle Shopping

Thanks lovely people. I really appreciate your time and I now understand and love the thought of Seattle a bit better - albeit for different reasons than I had originally thought!

Can I trouble you all to one more question?

We are in seattle from 15-20 July with 2 very well behaved kids but I can’t seem to find a musical public event to take them to - paid or free. We are stopping down town and are doing all the usual tourist hot spots.

Are kids allowed to play in the water at waterfront park?

Thank you again for your responses and I shall take a look into the underground tour.

Sarah

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11 625 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle Shopping

sarebear1980--Here is a link to some things going on during your time here. The Viking Days in Ballard would be a lot of fun! It lists several concert series, so click on those links for more information.

https://www.events12.com/seattle/july/

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Ballard
Hotel Ballard
311 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Seattle
Level Contributor
49 461 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle Shopping

<Are kids allowed to play in the water at waterfront park?>

What park are you talking about exactly? Most of the waterfront is commercial, not really any place you'd want to go swimming!!!

<<Until fairly recently, it was hard to get a good haircut here>>

Sorry but that statement is totally ridiculous. I agree we are not New York or London, heck we're not even Chicago or LA. But there's plenty of amazing stylists in this city. Has been like that for at least the 3 decades I've lived here -lol.

Edited: 20 June 2018, 16:21
Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4 051 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Seattle Shopping

That was said tongue in cheek, Colleen, although I do think there’s some truth to it. It’s a lot more low key here than other places I’ve lived. I don’t care about “distinguishing the area”, lol.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4 051 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Seattle Shopping

Suze they mean the area on the pier where the fountain is. It’s deceptively named, OP. It’s more of a pedestrian area than a park.

There are actual shoreline areas to play, although the water is usually too cold for me—my favorite is alki beach.

Seattle
Level Contributor
49 461 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seattle Shopping

Lake Washington has some nice parks right in the city if you want to take the girls swimming:

Madison Park has a sand beach (and cute restaurants and shops in the small main district nearby).

seattle.gov/parks/…madison-park-north-beach

Madrona Park

www.seattle.gov/parks/find/parks/madrona-park

Alki in West Seattle, as already suggested above

seattle.gov/parks/find/parks/alki-beach-park

I am guessing Viking Days in Ballard would be a blast! Great suggestion!!

found another idea -

https:/…music-under-the-stars-2018

Edited: 20 June 2018, 17:46
Mentioned in this post
Lake Washington
Lake Washington
294 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Alki Beach
Alki Beach
900 Reviews
Seattle, WA