We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle To Vancover, where to stop and spend the night

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Topic
Seattle To Vancover, where to stop and spend the night

We get into Seattle on a July Sat morning at 10 am (after a 6 hour flight), pick up a rental car and don't have to be in Vancouver until the next day (any time is fine, no rush). On the way back we have 2 nights to spend in the Seattle area. Can anyone recommend a detour on the way up to Vancouver where we can spend the night and see something scenic (Mountains, beach, waterfalls.. anything).

FYI, we have never been to Seattle or Vancouver and still trying to figure out what we will be doing while in those areas.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
12 replies to this topic
Seattle
Level Contributor
49 523 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle To Vancover, where to stop and spend the night

Edmonds is only a 1/2 hour or so north of Seattle (not really a detour) and on the water (Puget Sound). That would get you headed in the right direction and be a pleasant place to have dinner and stay 1 night.

Or did you want to try to push to get further north (closer to Vancouver) with that first drive?

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7 354 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle To Vancover, where to stop and spend the night

Whidbey Island. Here's a map showing where things are. https://goo.gl/maps/xF4NX9WQaP82

Places shown on the map -

Future of Flight/Boeing tour. See the 747s, 777s, and 787s being built in the biggest building in the world. https://www.futureofflight.org/

Mukilteo - a very pleasant little ferry port town with a very cute lighthouse

(Whidbey Island ferry) - 20 minute crossing from Mukilteo to Whidbey Island

Langley - a very picturesque waterfront town with numerous galleries, cafes, etc.

Fort Casey State Park - nice state park with a very pretty lighthouse and very cool coastal defense gun batteries offering views toward the Olympic Mountains.

Coupeville - another picturesque waterfront village

Deception Pass - the stunning gap between Whidbey and Fidalgo islands, with beaches and hiking trails. The views both from the bridge level and the water level are stunning. At tide change the speed of the water through the channel can be downright scary sometimes.

(Coastal/Chuckanut Drive - WA 11) - this is a scenic (mainly waterfront) route into

La Conner - yet another picturesque waterfront village

Fairhaven - Bellingham's historic district with some good architecture and more galleries, shops, cafes...

Steveston - this is Vancouver's fishing port, a pleasant spot, used in the "Once Upon a Time" TV series.

For an overnight location I'd look at Langley, Coupeville or La Conner. Lots to see and do. On a weekend I'd expect there will be a fair number of people around, but it's still a lovely route to take.

Edited: 16 June 2018, 17:27
Mentioned in this post
Langley
Langley
British Columbia, Canada
Fort Casey State Park
Fort Casey State Park
474 Reviews
Whidbey Island, WA
La Conner
La Conner
Washington
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7 354 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle To Vancover, where to stop and spend the night

Oops, La Conner is before Chuckanut Drive, not after. My bad.

Mentioned in this post
La Conner
La Conner
Washington
Chuckanut Drive
Chuckanut Drive
154 Reviews
Bellingham, WA
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11 630 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle To Vancover, where to stop and spend the night

I had the same thoughts as Gardyloo. Whidbey would be a wonderful stop, and Chuckanut Drive is really nice. If you stop at Taylor Shellfish Farm along the way there, they have grills you can use to cook the seafood you buy there. Plus picnic tables right on the water, so you might consider it for a lunch stop.

Mentioned in this post
Chuckanut Drive
Chuckanut Drive
154 Reviews
Bellingham, WA
Seattle
Level Contributor
49 523 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle To Vancover, where to stop and spend the night

The DEs here are the BEST! You guys rock.

Love the Whidbey Island idea. How about Captain Whidbey Inn for your first night?

https://captainwhidbey.com/ very "Pacific Northwest" vibe.

Mentioned in this post
Captain Whidbey
Captain Whidbey
287 Reviews
Whidbey Island, WA
Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle To Vancover, where to stop and spend the night

Thanks for the quick responses, Gardyloo that itinerary looks great, much appreciated! The DW is saying it maybe much for the kids when we land to head out, so may just grab a free room we have at the courtyard Redmond when we land, and make it a straight shot on Sunday to Vancouver and do this itinerary on the way back when we have 2 nights.

Mentioned in this post
Redmond
Redmond
Washington
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5 368 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle To Vancover, where to stop and spend the night

I wouldn't waste your first night staying in Redmond, but would at least spend the night somewhere more attractive and interesting.

One direction or the other, the Whidbey Island drive is my suggestion as well, and with a couple of kids in tow, I'd spend one of the nights in Bellingham. Many more family-oriented options than the B&Bs in Coupeville, etc.

Be aware of the documentation you need for border crossing, and know that the wait times may be painful. I live up by the border, and last night (a Friday) at 10pm it was supposedly close to two hours.

~ Colleen

Mentioned in this post
Redmond
Redmond
Washington
Bellingham
Bellingham
Washington
Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Seattle To Vancover, where to stop and spend the night

Colleen -thanks for the info, I did not realize the border crossing would have a wait! Do you know what documentation is needed, other then passports? How is the Everett area? There seems to be a Marriott up there that will accept our free night certificate. Will definently hit up Whidley Island on our way down.

Mentioned in this post
Everett
Everett
Washington
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2 274 posts
1 064 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seattle To Vancover, where to stop and spend the night

just your passports and depending on when you cross/date/if a holiday and which crossing it can be even longer than two hours

Edited: 17 June 2018, 16:48
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11 630 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seattle To Vancover, where to stop and spend the night

Sienna--There are two Marriotts in Everett, one almost right on top of I-5 and the other more in downtown. Honestly, you couldn't pay me to stay in Everett even for just one night. We do not live far from it, and a BIL is a police officer there. Basically it is a pit, with very few exceptions. I agree that Redmond, while much nicer, is not a place to stay either. If I were you, I would just not use the points for that night and get something in Edmonds or Mukilteo if you are not wanting to do Whidbey on the way up.

Mentioned in this post
Everett
Everett
Washington
Redmond
Redmond
Washington
Reply to: Seattle To Vancover, where to stop and spend the night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted