We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer Anniversary Trip Help Needed Please

CA
Level Contributor
149 posts
32 reviews
First timer Anniversary Trip Help Needed Please

My wife and I want to come to New Orleans for our 30th anniversary but our concern lies around the weather and things to do in late August the week prior to Labor Day weekend for four days. I keep reading its hot and humid but really how bad is it? Is is too hot to do anything outside in the daytime? Which hotel do you feel has the best pool and fitness center geared for adults located in CBD or French Quarter? Would love to do a few tours if weather permits. If you had only three dinners left in New Orleans and could never return where would you eat? drink? dance? visit? Thanks for your recommendations

7 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18 026 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: First timer Anniversary Trip Help Needed Please

It will be like a sauna in August. How you will cope with the heat really depends on your tolerance for humidity. Your profile says you are from CA - the first time I experienced that kind of humidity, it really affected me. Now I am used to it and do fine - although I still do everything in the morning, hide out in the heat of the day, and then reemerge in the evening. If you don't mind waiting a month or so until late September/early October, the weather will be much nicer.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3 060 posts
2. Re: First timer Anniversary Trip Help Needed Please

I normally recommend to people visiting that time of year to break up your day in two parts,, get out there early and explore and then come back to your hotel in the heat of the day and rest or use the pool etc then go back out in the early evening,, it will still be warm but not like mid day,, one positive part of coming that time of year is the restaurants offer discounted deals. Its called coolinary and if you google it it will show you the restaurants that participate.

CA
Level Contributor
149 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: First timer Anniversary Trip Help Needed Please

thanks so much for the weather tips. We are early morning people and my thought is to have a hotel with great pool to hide out in the middle of day. What would you suggest close to French Quarter/Frenchmen Street with a killer pool?

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
2 047 posts
45 reviews
4. Re: First timer Anniversary Trip Help Needed Please

Not sure it would be classified as having a killer pool, but check out the Omni Royal Orleans. It has a great location within The Quarter and a nice rooftop pool with a shaded area as well as bar. Some of the rooms there are rather small, but it’s a lovely hotel. For overall romanticism and having a pool, I suggest The Monteleone. These hotels are my two favorites in New Orleans with The Monteleone having a slight edge due to its gorgeous lobby and being home to The Carousel Bar. The entire Quarter is walkable and Frenchmen Street is just across Esplanade from the lower area. And yes, August will be awfully hot and humid (and even though I’m only @ 8 hours away, I can tell you it’s worse there).

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
13 252 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: First timer Anniversary Trip Help Needed Please

My favorite pool area is at Omni Royal Orleans; it also arguably has the best lodging location in the City, handy when having to walk in the heat. Some, not most, of the rooms are rather small, but the various room types are clearly described on the Hotel website.

For dancing, Famous Door on Bourbon Street has very high quality cover bands playing 80’s and 90’s rock; it’s where 40 and 50 somethings go to act like 20 and 30 somethings.

Best place to drink? The options are countless, and most bars have mega air conditioning. In August, strolling in the French Quarter in the morning with a Bloody Mary to go (legal in New Orleans) in hand.

In the South there is a reason for the siesta. Best program is to sleep between 2 AM and 7 AM and 2 PM and 5 PM.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6 755 posts
123 reviews
6. Re: First timer Anniversary Trip Help Needed Please

Bobbyvegas has good advice, and quick in and outs at super air conditioned stores helps, and keep hydrated with Water not beer during the day.

CA
Level Contributor
149 posts
32 reviews
7. Re: First timer Anniversary Trip Help Needed Please

Thanks so much for your help.

Reply to: First timer Anniversary Trip Help Needed Please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted