We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

URBAN LIVING Furnished Short-term Rentals NYC

Melbourne
8 posts
URBAN LIVING Furnished Short-term Rentals NYC
Save

I am going to be in NYC studying (a short course) and my length of stay will be 3 months. I have searched NYHabitat.com and compared the fee's and apartments with a company that trades through lodgis.com, "Urban Living"...

Now before I get a whole lot of "read the FAQ" or "search the rest of the forum" let me explain why I'm asking about this company..

I've seen some things written about "vacation rentals" however this is a little different as it's more or less a short-term lease of a furnished apartment.

Is this situation "legal"? If NYHabitat keeps being recommended and Urban Living is essentially doing the exact same thing why is one better than the other?

I've been in contact with both companies and NYHabitat have basically left me to make all the contact where as Urban Living have been really helpful.

I'll be paying $1900 p/month for a furnished studio apartment in Chelsea (W 30th Street) is this about average? It includes utilities.

I'm basically just looking for some solid advice if that's not to much to ask.. really looking forward to "living" in the city that I've fallen in love with 6 times over!

new york city
Level Contributor
19 059 posts
2 reviews
7 helpful votes
1. Re: URBAN LIVING Furnished Short-term Rentals NYC
Save

It probably is legal because of the length of stay.. but be very careful as there are many scams out there. Provide us with all the details of the listing and some expert may pick up on it and advise you. The more details the better. Also look at the posting from today about NYHabitat and do a search on Urban Living. I have never heard of them but that does not mean anything.

Melbourne
8 posts
2. Re: URBAN LIVING Furnished Short-term Rentals NYC
Save

thanks for your reply...

basically i've searched and searched for something incriminating about them but found nothing and i've asked like a thousand questions, all to which the agent has been very helpful in answering..

the company is a registered member with REBNY.. i'd assume you'd have to be legit to be registered with this?

I'm to pay an agents fee (which is normal with renting anything) it's 15% of the total rent

a security deposit (just over half of a months rent)

Furnished Studio

West 30th Street between 8th Avenue and 9th Avenue in the Chelsea neighborhood of Midtown West.

First floor of a walk up building with laundry in the building.

The nearest subway 33rd Street and 8th Avenue, about 4 blocks away.

Madison Square Garden and Penn Station are only 4 blocks away at 34th Street.

Furnished with full size bed, a sofa bed, open kitchen, and full bathroom. There are linens, towels, and cookwares in the apartment.

There is cable tv, local phone and internet included.

from all the documents i have, it looks pretty legit, I've asked the agent to ask the owner if i can receive my security deposit the day of the checkout since i live overseas

and that's all i can think of really..

I have a good feeling about it but as always, being in a completely different country you wish you could view it before hand.. (which i was told i could get someone to view it) but dont really know anyone well enough to ask them to take time out of their day to go view an apartment!!

(any takers? I'll take you out for dinner when I arrive)

Victoria
1 post
3. Re: URBAN LIVING Furnished Short-term Rentals NYC
Save

Hey there, just wanted to see how you ended up going with this? I'm in a similar circumstance now and your post matches exactly where I am up to in my planning.

I have also heard good things about Urban Living - did your experience end up going to plan with them?

Would love to hear how you went.

Thanks!

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1 798 posts
4. Re: URBAN LIVING Furnished Short-term Rentals NYC
Save

It's kind of hard to evaluate the apartment without an exact address and a link to some photos. You don't say you are male or female but as a lifelong New Yorker (until 5 years ago), security has always been an issue for me. Although I will now be bombarded with posts about how "safe" NY is (and indeed it went through a remarkable transformation during my years there), living on a "first floor" raises some security issues for me. You want to make sure that someone can't just walk through your window.

I always think of "Chelsea" as ending in the 20's, so I wonder if the listing agent is "stretching" other things about the apartment. We have had occasion to use Citi-Habitats -- they are pricey, but totally legit (as far as we know).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
109 247 posts
12 reviews
48 helpful votes
5. Re: URBAN LIVING Furnished Short-term Rentals NYC
Save

I agree. 30th st,. is most definitely not Chelsea. There are only 2 reviews here, but not good.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/urban-living-new-york

6. Re: URBAN LIVING Furnished Short-term Rentals NYC

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2010, 06:15
US$USD
South Africa
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.