We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak Trip: Starting in Barboursville VW

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
Amtrak Trip: Starting in Barboursville VW
Save

I'm in Barboursville for a friend's wedding in April (I'm from the UK). I'd like to do a bit of travelling after and am considering some sort of Amtrak pass (looking for the cheapest options where possible). I'm travelling alone and have never used (or even been to the USA) Amtrack before. Flights back to the UK seem to be pretty cheap from NYC and I have a friend there I'd like to visit so would probably consider that the end of my trip but it doesn't have to be (I'd just definitley like to go there). Just wondering what recommendations people might have? Should I fly to somewhere west say, then work my way back to NYC? Would anyone have any recommended routes? Advice? Thanks.

2 replies to this topic
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 856 posts
29 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: Amtrak Trip: Starting in Barboursville VW
Save

Amtrak (the Cardinal) runs a "U" shaped route from Chicago Il through Cincinnati Oh, Huntington Wv, White Sulpher Springs (The Greenbriar Resort) Wv, Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York. All would be great stops however Chicago and Cincinnati would require you to backtrack on your journey to NYC. It's a nice ride that passes through some great places!

Have fun.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2 398 posts
65 reviews
75 helpful votes
2. Re: Amtrak Trip: Starting in Barboursville VW
Save

I think I would take the train west and fly back to NYC. I have done long distance routes 3 times. Remember that you can only get on and off at specific times as the trains go through a town once a day and sometimes less than that. The 15 day pass has 8 segments, so that might wok for you. Each time you get on or off, or switch trains, that is a segment. I think the Zephyr is the prettiest but have only done it and the Southwest Chief of the western routes. The scenery is not nearly as nice a driving though! You could also get off at Flagstaff and take the other train to the Grand Canyon, all without needing a car.

Reply to: Amtrak Trip: Starting in Barboursville VW
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Barboursville
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.