We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I5 rush hour traffic on Friday afternoon?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
35 helpful votes
I5 rush hour traffic on Friday afternoon?
Save

Hello,

We will be driving from Vancouver for a soccer tournament in Tukwila area this weekend. Since the first game is scheduled on Friday 8pm, we will head out early in the morning and spend the late morning and afternoon at Woodland Park Zoo before making our way towwrds Renton, where we are staying.

Would anyone be able to tell me how bad the rush hour traffic is on a typical Friday afternoon on I5? I just want to make sure we will leave the zoo early enough so that we have enough time to check in at our hotel, grab a light dinner before the game.

Thanks!!

Judy

8 replies to this topic
Renton, Washington
Level Contributor
6 792 posts
1. Re: I5 rush hour traffic on Friday afternoon?
Save

Don't take the freeway!!! You could drive south on Aurora Avenue (99) or drive west to 15th W and drive along 15th, Western, and the viaduct and keep going to Tukwila.

https://goo.gl/maps/vXdxqWt2fww

Friday afternoon is the absolute worst for traffic on the freeway (and pretty much everywhere else). I'm typing this at 1730 on a Thursday, and you can see what I am talking about indicated in red.

Edited: 3 years ago
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
274 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: I5 rush hour traffic on Friday afternoon?
Save

It's not going to be pretty. Once pass the downtown area though on I-5 South, you can travel in the HOV lane (far left lane), all the way to your Tukwila/Renton exits. Should be a little faster and less stop and go in the HOV lane.

If you leave by 4pm from the Zoo, you should be at the hotel by 5:30 pm. You will hit traffic immediately at 45th street entrance south bound but try to get over to the far left lane and stay there to hook up to the HOV lane as mentioned above. Use the High Occupancy Vehicle lane at 45th entrance for no red light stopping.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
274 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: I5 rush hour traffic on Friday afternoon?
Save

99 south is backed up also, I see it everyday. Traffic is funneled into 2 lanes at the stadiums. At least I-5 south has HOV lane. My preference is still I-5 south.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3 125 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: I5 rush hour traffic on Friday afternoon?
Save

The freeway is still faster since it has no traffic lights.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
35 helpful votes
5. Re: I5 rush hour traffic on Friday afternoon?
Save

Thank you everyone! This is super helpful for us to gauge. We will try to leave the zoo by 3pm to get a head start of the traffic :)

Mukilteo, Washington
Level Contributor
250 posts
246 reviews
143 helpful votes
6. Re: I5 rush hour traffic on Friday afternoon?
Save

get out of the Zoo area by 2 pm. hit I5 through traffic past downtown, get in the HOV lane to Renton and find something-Southcenter Mall, Gene Coulon Park, Saltwater State Park, or Tukwila Family Funcenter-to do.

Renton, Washington
Level Contributor
6 792 posts
7. Re: I5 rush hour traffic on Friday afternoon?
Save

I'm doing a 180. Just realized that there is construction on SR-99 that reduces traffic to one lane in each direction so going by the freeway might be best. I live south of Seattle, not too far from the soccer field, and when my destination is north of the city i NEVER take the freeway...I have several surface street escape routes that do indeed have stoplights but do not turn into parking lots as I have seen happen to the freeway far too often. mlpbjm has the answer.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Senior Travel
Level Contributor
23 289 posts
120 reviews
245 helpful votes
8. Re: I5 rush hour traffic on Friday afternoon?
Save

hwy 99 is the same as in Vancouver and I use it more than I-5 so I would still take 99 since the zoo borders it and your already there.

Reply to: I5 rush hour traffic on Friday afternoon?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.