We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling to Stromness

Tredegar, United...
7 posts
traveling to Stromness

My grandmother was born in Stromness and we are thinking of visiting the island. What are the travel options to get there? How long would we need to stay to have a good look around the island . There are about ten of us going. We would be grateful for any information . Thank you

13 replies to this topic
Vancouver
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
11. Re: traveling to Stromness

We've just been to Orkney September 2017. Even with all the research we did before here's what I wished we had done. We left in the morning from Inverness, went north and headed to visit John O'Groats then Scrabster in a hotel for the morning ferry. Should have gone to Gills Bay and taken the late afternoon ferry to St Margarets Hope. That would give us time to see the Italian chapel and the Churchill barriers on way to Kirkwall. We liked Kirkwall, lots of day trips, active for 3 days around that part of the island. Stayed in a great B&B 5 mins walk to downtown. Then we spent 2 days in Stromness, did the town walking tour and looked around some more. You can spend as much time as you want for exploring your family history. Here's the big tip....the Nortlink ferry leaves 6 am, way too early for us to get up and be there 30 mins earlier so we booked a hotel the night prior to our departure and took the 11 am ferry which was actually later than we wanted. The ferry is at dock overnight in Stromness, you can book to board in the evening, have a berth accommodation and breakfast included for half the cost of a hotel. When 6 am comes along, you're snug in your berth and the ferry takes you away, get up at leisure and arrive rested. Wished we had know! Enjoy!

Maryland
Level Contributor
5 371 posts
6 reviews
12. Re: traveling to Stromness

Thanks for the update, much appreciated. I went a few yrs ago, the ferry schedules and points of departure have obviously changed, so recent experiences help others with their planning.

Thanks for posting.

😎

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
13. Re: traveling to Stromness

I have just come back from a 9 day trip to Orkney- 6 nights self catering in Stromness and 2 nights in a hotel in Kirkwall. With hindsight I would have stayed in Stromness the whole time as I found it a much nicer place than Kirkwall.

There seem to be plenty of self catering options around and I would recommend that for flexibility. There is a decent size Co-op in the town to buy provisions as well as a couple of smaller delis.

We flew to Inverness then rented a car to drive to Scrabster and across on the ferry to Stromness - only 1 1/2 hours .

You do really need a car to get about as the bus service is limited. Distances are not that great, roads are good and not very busy.

Reply to: traveling to Stromness
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stromness
Recent Conversations