We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide/Vehicle

Santa Clarita...
7 posts
Guide/Vehicle

Looking to hire a guide with vehicle capable of transporting four adults. Will arrive via cruise ship in Portland on Friday, May 2 at 0700 hours. Wish to visit Stonehenge and Salisbury. Need to return to ship in Portland by 1845 hours on Friday, May 2. Please advise availability and pricing.

7 replies to this topic
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
16 346 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Guide/Vehicle

This is Trip Advisor, a group of (usually) cheerful amateurs. We dont have cars or drivers to hire.

Try googling car hire Portland, on cruises what i have done is hire a self drive car and go where we want. Just dont miss the ship as, although they have to wait for their own excursions, they wont wait for you.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12 974 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: Guide/Vehicle

You need to allow 2 hours each way for the journey: I am told by a local (Bath) tour guide that Stonehenge is currently a nightmare as they have changed the entrance system recently - hopefully that will be fixed by the time you travel. Allow at least 90 minutes.

Allowing for possible delays, I would suggest a timetable something like

Leave ship 07:45

Arrive Shenge 10:00

Arrive Salisbury 11:30

Leave Salisbury 14:30

Arrive Dorchester 15:45

Leave Dorchester 17:30

Dorchester is the County Town of Dorset, the former home of Thomas Hardy, and is what aI like to call 'a nice wee town' - I prefer it to Salisbury, which is rather dominated by the cathedral.

As for a tour guide, Weymouth will be a better bet, rather than Portland: the local tourist info office may be able to help, they can be found here, contact button at the bottom

visit-dorset.com/about-the-area/areas-to-vis…

Santa Clarita...
7 posts
3. Re: Guide/Vehicle

Thanks for the great information!

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1 904 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Guide/Vehicle

Portland is sleepy town. The biggest town nearby is Weymouth so Googling 'Weymouth private hire' may be more successful. Ask for their price for what you want to do.

I am told that visitors to Stonehenge are taken to and from the stones by bus, the fare for which is included in the entrance fee. Alternatively, it is possible to walk the mile or thereabouts each way. I think that 90 minutes may be too little time to allow now that there is a visitors' centre.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24 474 posts
52 reviews
5. Re: Guide/Vehicle

Here's an article about arriving at Portland by cruise ship, it includes a contact for a small company who may be able to organise a personalised tour.

Of course, don't overlook that your own cruise company may be offering their own excursion to Salisbury & Stonehenge.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g190817-c200144/Wey…

6. Re: Guide/Vehicle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 23:29

Almeria, Spain
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Guide/Vehicle

Hi there,

We used DorsetTours.com. We arrived on the Holland America to Portland Port and found a privately guided tour of the Jurassic Coast, it was really worth doing. Our guide even took us to the Broadchurch locations.

Hope this Helps.

Jackie

Reply to: Guide/Vehicle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Portland