We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Wine

Travelling to Lord Howe in a few weeks and wondering if you can but wine on the island readily or should we take some with us?

7 replies to this topic
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
84 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine

Bottled wine is readily available in the general stores and there is also a bottle shop although it has limited hours. Even some small casks are available. But be warned that everything costs a lot more. We took a small cask of wine and a couple of bottles. You can carry liquids on domestic flights but the weight limit of 14kg for checked bags and 7kg for hand luggage is pretty strictly enforced. The restaurants are mostly all licenced too and wine by the glass is available at some places. Enjoy!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine

Thank you. Will take a few bottles, never get to14 kgs!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
84 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine

You'd be surprised! We also took a few food items as were staying in self contained accommodation. You need clothes for all weathers. We wore our walking boots/shoes and jackets on the plane. They even weigh you with your hand luggage on the way home....but by then you've drunk the heavy stuff!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20 501 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine

Depends on what type of wine you want

The lord Howe island board runs the business so the cheapest option is the bottle shop nearby As mentioned l8mjted hours but does have a very good selection. Expect to pay around 40-60percient. Ore than mainland for premium bottles

You will pay more again inthe genral stores ... board plus their mark up

Don’t forget luggage can be left behind if the weather is unfavourable and even more likely if flights are full (you should be ok unless it is first weekend of school holidays)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine

Always only flew with hand luggage when it was 10kg, 7kg makes it harder. Just did Europe in January with 12kg, but didn’t take wine!!

SE Pa
Level Contributor
650 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine

Not wine, but I bought a bottle in Sydney for my time on the island. Flight was postponed for two days and I ended up drinking it at the hotel. That said, hope you get on well. It, as they say, is just paradise.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine

I ended up taking a cask and a few bottles and still well under the weight. I thought the bottle shop prices were very reasonable considering. One particular bottle was double the price in Thompson’s as it was in the bottle shop. I can understand a mark up but this is a bit excessive.

Reply to: Wine
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lord Howe Island