We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxury Bahia Principe not so great anymore?

10 posts
Luxury Bahia Principe not so great anymore?

My wife and I booked a stay at Luxury Bahia Principe, and it's all paid for through bookit.com However lately I heard they are dropping Don Pablo, and the place has gone downhill. What all inclusive resort for around $300-350 a night is a better? We have 8 days in December, and bookit will let us switch to a better hotel.

We don't have kids, so adults only is fine too. Recommendations? I really want a luxury experience and it sounds like Luxury Bahia Principe isn't going to cut it now.

35 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
1 024 posts
7 reviews
29 helpful votes
1. Re: Luxury Bahia Principe not so great anymore?

The Royal Suits over at the Grand Palladium have been getting rave reviews by all accounts over at the Grand Palladium. No comparison whatsoever to Grand Bahia Principe Akumal were we just Happily returned from but I would be amazed if that did not reflect in the price.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g…

B.

Edited: 13 October 2018, 14:44
Winnipeg, Manitoba...
Level Contributor
518 posts
36 reviews
19 helpful votes
2. Re: Luxury Bahia Principe not so great anymore?

If the Royal Suites are too pricey, the Grand Palladium Kantenah or Colonial are less expensive. I prefer the Palladium over the Grand Bahia.

UK
Level Contributor
1 024 posts
7 reviews
29 helpful votes
3. Re: Luxury Bahia Principe not so great anymore?

Same here Susan,deals are just hard to find at the moment,certainly from the UK.

B.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
12 186 posts
65 reviews
40 helpful votes
4. Re: Luxury Bahia Principe not so great anymore?

Definitely agree with deals from UK getting harder to find 🙄

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
23 226 posts
109 reviews
168 helpful votes
5. Re: Luxury Bahia Principe not so great anymore?

We have stayed at the GBP Akumal twice , and at the Palladium twice . We won’t be returning to the GBP. The Palladium, even if not staying in the luxury’s adult only section ( TRS) is still a better place to us , food is better , resort has more to do , the jungly feel is more atmospheric , and there are just small things we love ( getting a latte or cappuccino at the beach bar at 6 am and watching the sun come up , getting ice cream bars from the main pool bar etc , )

UK
Level Contributor
1 024 posts
7 reviews
29 helpful votes
6. Re: Luxury Bahia Principe not so great anymore?

Is that a Sarcasm alert Clint?

Apologies if not.

B.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
4 868 posts
29 reviews
183 helpful votes
7. Re: Luxury Bahia Principe not so great anymore?

Whether GBP has really gone downhill or not is secondary. Sounds like you would prefer a different resort. You should make a change if you don't think you'll be happy with GBP.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
385 posts
6 reviews
29 helpful votes
8. Re: Luxury Bahia Principe not so great anymore?

Pretty sure noodles is on about how hard it is to book the Grand palladium online.. I have had similar problem,it’s just not available like it once was?

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
566 posts
14 reviews
35 helpful votes
9. Re: Luxury Bahia Principe not so great anymore?

While I find GBP to be nice I would not say it is luxurious. I have always considered it to be good bang for your buck.

A nice place to go and be treated well but not to be waited on hand and foot with rose petal water poured on your feet to wash away the sand. We have noticed a decline in the resort enough to venture elsewhere for similar pricing.We like nice things but are pretty easy going and do not mind average resorts.Not knocking the resort and we would return for the right money but we never viewed it as a luxury resort and we have stayed prior to and during the “Luxury” designation and aside from the infinity pool and outdoor buffet next to it, we have noticed not much else other than more of a divide amongst the resort itself via classes and now Akumal has divided again and made itself partial adults only which if I had young children and booked it thinking I could use all of its facilities and found out no infinity pool or outdoor buffet because I have kids I would be pissed.

Maybe look at the Royal Playa del Carmen or Riu Palaces in Playcar

Edited: 14 October 2018, 18:35
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
23 226 posts
109 reviews
168 helpful votes
10. Re: Luxury Bahia Principe not so great anymore?

6million - I would agree with your assessment .

It’s a nice enough place , it was our first AI so we were impressed , however after trying a few more places then returning we just found it wasn’t quite what we wanted anymore .

Reply to: Luxury Bahia Principe not so great anymore?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted