We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wildlife

Princes Risborough...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
wildlife

hi all.

i chose Akumal as a holiday place mainly for the turtles and wildlife. that being said i haven't been able to find much info on the animals other than the turtles.

can you guys share the animals you saw as well as what time of day you saw them.

thank you in advance :D

13 replies to this topic
manchester
Level Contributor
2 571 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: wildlife

We have stayed at the grand palladium twice. We saw about 20-30 iguanas a day, sometimes more. All times of the day and pretty much everywhere, including under your sun lounger. Then pretty much most days we would see several coatimundi, Central American agouti and raccoons. These were visiable in various places during day light hours. The birds were beautiful too. We saw a few interesting bugs including odd looking catapillers, millipedes,centipedes. We saw 1 snake during the day wriggling off into the undergrowth. Lots of butterflies too. We also saw a wild deer (or similar looking animal) at Xplor which was absolutely amazing. I also believe that monkeys are usually around at dawn but I was never up in time to see them.

The wildlife is incredible but it depends where you stay. Some hotels have cut down their jungle to create more manicured gardens and so you will be less likely to see as much. I’m in the Akumal beach resort Facebook group and it seems fairly rare to see things like coatis. If wildlife is important to you I would recommend the grand palladium. They conserved 80% of the jungle area when they built it and so the hotel grounds are thriving with wildlife.

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
3 162 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: wildlife

Coatimundis, mainly around garbage cans and mooching food scraps near restaurants on Half Moon Bay, pretty much all day.

Racoons.

Pacas (agouti?), also, but they are timid and head for the brush quickly.

The brown pelican is there.

Frigatebirds, floating on the air currents.

The great-tailed grackle, called "zenate" in Mexico.

Muchas iguanas.

Small lizards I think are called anoles.

Cats at Lol Ha restaurant. (They prefer shrimp and fish).

Various dogs of indeterminate breed.

Just off the top of my head these are some of the critters I've seen in the Akumal area. I know I've left some out. I enjoy seeing them all, but mostly I'm a "lizarder" LOL.

Edited: 14 June 2018, 13:49
Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: wildlife

I went for the wildlife too!

The turtles/rays/fish in the bay were amazing, though at ABBWR the 'ground' wildlife wasn't as much as other resorts (my friend was staying in Playacar and saw coati, agouti and racoons running round the pool!)

But we saw absolutely loads.

Pelicans and Frigates flying overhead all day. Lots of noisy Freckles, tons of iguanas and butterflies and interesting insects. Lots of hermit crabs and other crabs. A moray eel one day!

We did several walks round the jungly side every day and saw lots of agouti at all times of day. Coati and racoons in the evening. Lots of noisy frogs and cicada and even a beautiful parrot snake.

The highlight one night, was a lowland paca and her baby! Oh and did I mention the beautiful turtles 😁

Paradise!

Princes Risborough...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
4. Re: wildlife

hi,

such a shame to here ABBWR doesn't have much wildlife that's the hotel im going to.

do you know if there is much of a walk i can do in the mornings/evenings to see some wildlife?

cheers

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: wildlife

Oh believe me, in comparison to everywhere else I've ever been, it's brimming. I just meant that other hotels in the area have more in the way if the coati, racoons and agouti!

There are a few nice strolls to do round the hotel, up to the tennis courts and along the beach. We saw loads when we had our twice daily walks round (too hot to go much further most days)

You can also walk to Half Moon Bay. I'm told, though I didn't see any that the coati like to hang around near La Buena Vida and the shops.

Don't worry yourself though, the place is breathtaking and you're going to have an incredible time.

My friend had coati snatching her drinks in Playacar but I felt a trumped it with a giant Sea Turtle swimming right next to me, every day!

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
161 posts
85 reviews
6. Re: wildlife

I'm in ABBWR right now, enjoying the rain....there's lots of noisy birds, crickets and frogs (love it!) iguanas, some type of salamander and we've seen a couple of sereque and aguti ( spelling?). We also saw an adorable Mexican dwarf porcupine just outside the spa, sleeping up in the rafters. Many of these creatures are nocturnal so seeing them around in the day may be difficult. Talk to the front desk about a guided walk - they are SO accommodating here and will arrange anything you want. Of course I'm sure you are already aware of the amazing turtles, rays, barracuda and beautiful tropical fish since you specifically inquired about walking tours. Walk along the beach and you can see a few areas roped off for the turtle nests. On certain nights you can view the hatching of these eggs and their " journey" to the sea. We've never done it ourselves but heard about it. Hope you experience better weather. We still LOVE ABBWR despite the weather right now.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
67 reviews
7. Re: wildlife

We had some bad weather for a few days too. It's a bit drab but it did clear up and was wonderful so fingers crossed for you guys!

Agree about the staff being helpful with regards to wildlife. One of the animation staff, Alejandro, was fantastic. Gave us loads of info on the local wildlife.

Told us to go down the beach to the Centro Ecologico (?) Next to the dive shop to enquire about guided walks on potential nesting nights.

We didn't have time I'm the end sadly.

Porcupine? Jealous!!!

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
923 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: wildlife

We wouldn't go anywhere other than Grand Palladium now. Coatis and iguanas everywhere. Even in the lunch buffet if you sit at the right place!! Plenty of raccoons too. We saw a snake and a monkey. Sting rays in sea too. Lots of baby turtles at turtle camp and you may see a night time turtle release. I would HIGHLY recommend this place. The wildlife is absolutely amazing and made the holiday for us. Oh yeah they have agoutis too. Even if you don't stay it's well worth going for the day. Feel free to message if you have questions.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
199 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: wildlife

Walk on the road in Half Moon Bay (where La Buena Vida and Yal Ku are located) and you will see coatimundi (mostly they like to hang out buy the trash bins across from La Lunita), sereque (look like big guinea pigs), lots of birds. Once I saw a huge snake on the side of the road, people said it was a Boa but not sure. I have seen spider monkies a few times, once in HMB, once on a private beach south of Bahia and in Puerto Aventuras. Lots of hermit crabs.

Have fun exploring!

Princes Risborough...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
10. Re: wildlife

hi guys thank you for the brilliant replies i will defiantly go for a walk and maybe look at doing an organised walk.

also thinking about the monkey sanctuary so may try to walk there early one day then i can spot some more wildlife :)

Reply to: wildlife
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted