We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal 411

Jackson, Mississippi
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Akumal 411

Haven't been to Akumal since 2010.

We have been going to Orient Beach area in St. Martin and St. John.

Would like some info on Akumal. Looking at staying at a condo on Half Moon Bay.

How is the restaurant/bar scene?

How safe do you feel at night in this area? We use to stay around Tankah area and our house always had a guard at night.

How comfortable driving to Tulum for dinner?

Thanks for any info!

13 replies to this topic
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
184 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akumal 411

In Half Moon Bay, there has been a gate system installed with a manned security guard at all hours. Most condo complexes or houses have a night security guard but not all. With that said, I live here and sleep with my windows open all night. I come and go with my two small children for dinner and we do nightly walks or bike rides around yal Ku and NEVER have felt unsafe. You see people out and walking at night (after dinner) all the time.

Restaurant/bar scene - in HMB, you have La Buena Vida for both. Probably the livest place but still closing by 11 PM. Que Onda is a nice restaurant but quieter. There is a small bar a La Lunita, the priciest place on HMB (but outstanding food in my opinion). In Akumal, you have Cueva, Turtle Bay Cafe and La Taverna, Lol Ha fine dining and snack bar.

We drive down to Tulum at least once a week. Your biggest fear should be hidden topes (speed bumps :) )

Jackson, Mississippi
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Akumal 411

awesome! Thank you so much. Now just need to decide which condo to stay at.

Any ideas on that?

1-2 bedroom 2nd or 3rd floor

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
184 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akumal 411

Lots of variables with that one. For most people, location. sandy beach and a pool are the deal breakers. I am not sure whatmatters to you.

The closer to Akumal Bay, the condos have an iron shore, meaning no beach entry period. So while you can see the ocean, you really can't get in from shore. Other condos further down have sandy beaches. However, HMB is known for being rocky so while you have a sandy beach to lay on, it will be rocky trying to get in the water. Bring water shoes! I really can't give advice as to the inside of the condos since I live here and never been in most. I have been in La Mirage and it was very nice. Popluar names that are always mentioned - La Bahia, Del Col (condos and hotel next to La Buena Vida), La Sirena, Playa Caribe, Playa Blanca, La Iguana, The Reef, La Joya. There are many many more.

Are you going to have a car, rent a golf cart or rent bikes? Then location might not matter.

Are you pool people or beach people? La Bahia no pool but sandy beach. Mi Casa del Mar, pool but iron shore beach.

etc etc

Good luck on your search and let me know if I can help answer some more questions once you narrow down your criteria :)

Jackson, Mississippi
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Akumal 411

We love being under a umbrella in the sand and waves with a good book and a cold beverage. pool is not a necessity but nice. From staying on Tankah bay I know that the beach entrances can suck for sure. I good view and sound of ways is key of course.

We will rent a car at airport and run the gauntlet of policia on departure day.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45 405 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Akumal 411

Check two local agencies who represent most of the properties (they don't always represent the same ones)

Locogringo and Caribbean Fantasies (no extra service fees such as airbnb orvrbo)

http://www.caribbfan.com/

https://locogringo.com/

We often stay on Half Moon Bay and it depends on your needs and budget

You have Mi Casa Del Mar (great large condos, Infinity Pool that is on a rocky point but much closer to Akumal

Then mostly condos between the La Buena Vida restaurant and Yal Ku point

More budget friendly condos towards Yal-Ku away from the water

They have some very nice new modern condos just built called Nahil

We also liked La Joya

Check out the map (click on Akumal)

http://sac-be.com/maps_travel.shtml

More info on condos, restaurants , more maps over in top questions

Southern California
Level Contributor
15 243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Akumal 411

I've stayed at Playa Caribe and loved it (pool, AC, great onsite manager) and Playa Blanca (did not like, no pool or onsite manager, you check in at La Joya, ants). My friend loves La Joya and has stayed several times.

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
296 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Akumal 411

Locogringo.com is a great resource. We just got back from staying at The Reef condos. Very nice- no pool though. We checked out La Bahia next door, and they were great too.

Also, don't miss dinner at La Taverna- great Italian.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45 405 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Akumal 411

Not all places have pools so determine if this is a requirement

Internet also varies from condos

Culpeper, Virginia
Level Contributor
82 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Akumal 411

We bought a 3 bedroom condo on Half Moon Bay in Nov. after staying in Akumal last summer. The draw for us was the amazing water views from all the condos along the bay and the water activities. All of Half Moon Bay is pretty shallow but well worth trying to snorkel out near the reef. Yal Ku lagoon is quite a treat!

There's a good selection of restaurants. My favorites are: La Lunita (Fri. is usually lobster night); Que Oonda; La Cuerva de Pescador for seafood (some local music on some nights); Lol Ha "snack bar" has an extensive menu and sea view; La Taverna Italian restaurant has a nice atmosphere and brick oven pizza; Tequilaville Restaurant in the pueblo is pretty good. You can walk to most restaurants and you will feel quite safe.

Rt. 307 is well-lighted and you can easily drive to Tulum or Playa del Carmen for dinner. There's a Chedraui market in Puerto Adventures and in Tulum for "big shopping" and small markets in Akumal near the arch. As for ATM's, there are plenty but the ones in the supermarkets have lower service fees.

Transportation: I've used CARM for transport from the airport to Akumal and then rented a golf cart for the week. The past few trips, we've rented a car. I've used Easyway and also America Car Rental.

If you want more information, let me know.

Karne

Minnesota
Level Contributor
589 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Akumal 411

We just stayed at La Sirena condo #1. Seascape was the name of ours. Two bedroom, two bathroom on the ground floor. Full kitchen. Beds were amazingly comfortable. Screened porch opened right up to walk out into sandy area. Pool was great. Garden areas are beautiful. Que Onda was our favorite restaurant- easy walk. We went into Yal Ku twice from the Half Moon Bay side.

Edited: 16 February 2018, 04:35
Reply to: Akumal 411
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Akumal