We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LBP Sian Ka'an v LBP Akumal

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
330 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
LBP Sian Ka'an v LBP Akumal

Four of us are booked into the adults only section of LBP Akumal (2 x Deluxe Junior Suites).

We were talking at the weekend and one of the party was asking that other than being closer to the beach/sea, what is the difference between the two?

From what I've read, adult residents of Akumal can use exactly the same facilities (restaurants & drink types) as residents of Sian Ka'an (correct me if I'm wrong). If this is correct, I would appreciate views about whether it would be worthwhile seeing if we could make an amendment to our booking and shift sites.

Our current booking includes a standard coach transfer from/to the airport whereas if we were staying at Sian Ka'an we'd have a private taxi transfer both ways included in the price.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
The Sian Ka'an at Grand Tulum
The Sian Ka'an at Grand...
129 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
31 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
904 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: LBP Sian Ka'an v LBP Akumal

Agree it's a matter of preference. We've stayed at Sian Kaan several times. Last year about this time we split our vacation between Akumal and Sian Kaan. Having actually experienced both we prefer Akumal. Sian Kaan does not have better service and actually lacks in some areas over Akumal. They are both under the Don Pablo collection. I like the Sian Kaan rooms. The shuttles can be fun but at other times tedious especially trying to get back at night. Sian Kaan is cheaper for a reason.

What's interesting is a shared transfer to to Akumal but a private transfer to Sian Kaan. In my opinion this says that they a trying to intice people to go to Sian Kaan because it's less busy. Of course, Asian Kaan is still a good choice.

Edited: 13 February 2018, 22:14
Mentioned in this post
129 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
904 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: LBP Sian Ka'an v LBP Akumal

Sian, not Asian. Spell check!!!

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
3 134 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: LBP Sian Ka'an v LBP Akumal

You have several minutes to go into a post and edit it, assuming you're the author.

Edited: 13 February 2018, 22:23
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
904 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: LBP Sian Ka'an v LBP Akumal

Already edited once!lol!

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
3 134 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: LBP Sian Ka'an v LBP Akumal

Yes, that's the limit....i think many folks are unaware of this feature since it's not uncommon for people to post a second message correcting the first.

Edited: 13 February 2018, 22:33
Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
330 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: LBP Sian Ka'an v LBP Akumal

Kateman - TUI in the UK class Akumal as a 'Platinum' holiday and Sian Ka'an as an 'A la Carte' holiday.

Both types of holidays are for the best/most luxurious hotels but A la Carte holidays include a private transfer (along with a couple of other benefits relating to the flight element) whereas Platinum holidays only come with a traditional shared coach transfer.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
129 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Burton upon Trent...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: LBP Sian Ka'an v LBP Akumal

Hi

We are going to Sian Kaan later this month. We were there a year ago and hopped over to BP Akumal .

There may be some differences in the rooms as the Sian Kaan is surrounded by forest and perhaps have a different atmosphere to the Akumal . We love SK for seeing the Cuatis, Guti's and the variety of birdlife .

I would agree with James's response , if you love the beach then Akumal will be fine, however we found the adults only pool very crowded. No such issue at SK if you prefer some quiet time. Jump from one to the other on the trolley buses, it only takes a few minutes.

As for drinks quality, make sure you insist on the International brands . The draught beer is week, best go for canned brands. Be sure to tip the barman or the waiters on the beach 1 USD per round. that will ensure you get good service.

enjoy

Mentioned in this post
129 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
904 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: LBP Sian Ka'an v LBP Akumal

Thanks M16, I wasn't aware of that.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1 561 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: LBP Sian Ka'an v LBP Akumal

We are booked Sian this year last year was the Akumal as the past 8 years. Prices hiked this year soo.... to pay $300 pp more for the Akumal, we opted to save our $300 pp & take a Penthouse Suite @ the Sian & use the shuttle. That way we can get the best of all worlds! : )

Happy Travels!

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Fallen on Hard Times
Level Contributor
1 259 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: LBP Sian Ka'an v LBP Akumal

>>Sian, not Asian. Spell check!!!<<

Butt Spell Chequers two khan make awe full Miss Steaks. :-)

Certainly from UK, using TUI holidays, BP Akumal is cheaper than Sian Kaan. As an example one week in December 2018: Akumal 973 GBP, Sian Kaan 1014 GBP.

We spent 14 nights at Sian Kaan in January 2018, are returning this Thursday for 14 nights and again for 14 nights in May. Each holiday at Sian Kaan is more expensive than Akumal. Probably TUI recouping the money spent on the private transfer.

We had a walk around Akumal Pool and it was very noisy indeed with a number English children jumping in and out of the pool, NOT what we expected considering it was school term time in UK. NOT for us but the hotel is quite beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
129 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Reply to: LBP Sian Ka'an v LBP Akumal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Akumal