We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security/Crime

McAllen, Texas
Level Contributor
87 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Security/Crime

Couldn't find a thread in the archives that addressed security in recent months. Headed to Akumal for Spring break with another family. A friend of mine says she heard from a friend "who is connected" beach towns are unsafe right now. Nothing I have read on any of these forums or trip reports indicates that. we are looking at renting a villa that provide security in the evening and overnight hours. Any advice on how to quell their fears? Bringing children so everyone taking more precautions.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
35 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5 663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Security/Crime

Millions of Tourists visit this area every year. They are not the Target. They are the customer, thats why the bad guys exist. Tulum is very laid back, and if you just be vigilant like you would in McAllen, you will be just fine.Dont buy drugs or get into politics here, and you will have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Winnipeg, Manitoba...
Level Contributor
436 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Security/Crime

Being ‘connected’ is a lot like fight club. You don’t talk about it. Those that run around claiming to be ‘connected’ generally aren’t.

McAllen, Texas
Level Contributor
87 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Security/Crime

Love it. Well said. Statistically we r probably more likely to experience crime here!

Winnipeg, Manitoba...
Level Contributor
436 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Security/Crime

There has been an uptick in violence in Cancun, Puerto Morelos and Tulum. From all accounts I’ve read in the local news it’s pretty much all cartel related bearing in mind that most incidents happen in the non tourist areas.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45 081 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Security/Crime

A friend of mine says she heard from a friend

Smile

I have many friends who own and LIVE in Mexico (we stay there for 3-4 months a year) - I trust their word better than your trusted close sources

Crime - yep - there is theft so lock your doors/windows/don't leave valuables in cars

Like my HOME town

Are the beach towns unsafe -

Akumal and the neighboring bays are safe to stay and visit

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
McAllen, Texas
Level Contributor
87 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Security/Crime

Thank you

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45 081 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Security/Crime

And I should mention my friends live in the Akumal area between Tulum and Puerto Aventuras

We rent cars, take taxis, rarely stay in resorts, travel often

You will be fine

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Puerto Aventuras
Puerto Aventuras
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13 493 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Security/Crime

My daughter and I met in Cancun in December and traveled to RM. We felt perfectly safe for our entire trip and can't wait to return. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Vermont
Level Contributor
1 614 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Security/Crime

While it’s still a generally safe area, there has been a significant uptick in cartel related violence.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
497 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Security/Crime

I like to follow the news in playa and use the Google Translate feature to read on this site..Semanario Playa news aquí y ahora. Copy and paste in the FB search bar to find it.

Reply to: Security/Crime
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Akumal
;