We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oil?

Level Contributor
218 posts
3 reviews
Oil?

I'm just curious if anyone has heard anything predicting the oil spill to eventually reach the east coast? I am just hoping and praying it doesn't so my family can enjoy the beaches in August.

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Oil?

I've seen several good articles and from what I've ascertained, it's just a wait and see kind of thing. As I understand it, if the oil reaches the Gulf Stream it will be carried this way; however, the Gulf Stream is over 70 miles off the shores of Topsail Island.

I have a ton of questions, too, including -

Will the oil reach the Gulf Stream? If it does, how long will it take to reach North Carolina? If it does get to NC, how much impact will there be? How diluted will it be? Will most of it stay in the Gulf Stream; how much will affect our shores? If a tropical storm or hurricane develops anywhere in the Atlantic, how will that affect it?

Like I said, it just seems to be wait and see for now. Here's a link to one of the informative articles I recently read

http://tinyurl.com/2dky6ga

I think if I wanted to vacation on Topsail in August, I'd still make my plans and do it but I'd keep an eye on the news, too.

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Oil?

I found this interactive map for tracking the spill and thought it was interesting -

cnn.com/2010/…

Level Contributor
218 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Oil?

Connie,

Thanks so much for the info and the links. Very interesting! We have already reserved a condo in August and will be coming one way or another. Best case is that there will be minimal impact and we can enjoy the beach. Worst case is that the beaches will be closed. But even so, we will make the best out it and spend quite a bit of time at the pool and exploring local towns.

It will definitely be interesting to watch how this progresses through the summer months.

4. Re: Oil?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2010, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Surf City
Recent Conversations