We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay away from "Buss Stop" offered by Century 21 Action

Charleroi...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Stay away from "Buss Stop" offered by Century 21 Action

We were in Surf City this last week for vacation and stayed in a house called Buss Stop. its a second row house with very close access to the beach. When we booked back in February, we thought we were getting a really good deal. Boy did we learn a lesson! On the website, the house is marketed and depicted as a beach cottage. We knew we were getting a smaller house, but we had no idea it would be as bad as it was. The pictures on the site depict a bright cheery beach cottage. WRONG! This house is more of a camping cabin. It's a lot smaller than we had anticipated after looking at the pictures (fish eye lens maybe?) and is very dim on the inside. Not at all what we hoped it would be. The house was not comfortable as the AC couldn't keep it any cooler than 79-80 degrees during the day which was ridiculous for how incredibly tiny this house is (outside temps were only around 88-90), so you could forget about coming in from the beach and relaxing. In the evening, it was more comfortable sitting on the screened in front porch than inside the house. We had to make several calls, beginning within the first 15 minutes of entering the house, for various maintenance issues. In fact, that's the only positive thing I could say about this property was that Century 21 was responsive to our calls and did send someone out. Still, we ended up checking out 2 days early and heading to the Holiday Inn Resort in Wrightsville Beach at great expense. I guess we will just chalk it up as a lesson learned and next time not try to save a buck. By the time it was all said and done, I spent enough to have stayed in a much nicer house.

6 replies to this topic
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11 759 posts
156 reviews
1. Re: Stay away from "Buss Stop" offered by Century 21 Action

It doesn't look bright and cheery to me. Looks small, dark and old. Only one review too..from 3 years ago. Yes, lesson learned. Sorry.

Charleroi...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Stay away from "Buss Stop" offered by Century 21 Action

Believe me, the pictures on the site look WAY better than the actual thing. My wife even thought it looked ok on the site. Like I said, we knew we were getting a smaller place, it just ended up being much smaller and more cabin-like than we thought. Perhaps it would have been better if we could have comfortably spent more time in the house.

In the Country, NY
Level Contributor
3 552 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: Stay away from "Buss Stop" offered by Century 21 Action

Sorry for your bad expirence, at least Cetery 21 tried, I hope you directed your complaint to them also.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3 077 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: Stay away from "Buss Stop" offered by Century 21 Action

Photos look like a precious old beach cottage, like homes we stayed in when I was a kid, back in the 60's and 70's. I love the look and feel of the solid old pine walls, etc. and wish our beach house had them...even if I ended up painting them! But with a friend looking for their first beach (small budget) home purchase, I have recently been in a few of these old homes that are amazingly small. The history of those with very tiny living spaces, per the realtor, was that they were built as "fishing cabins", where owners/people staying there would go out and fish all day and into the night, basically just using the place to sleep.

A few suggestions for the future, 1- just know that there are no "really good deals" given on summer weeks unless (maybe) there's a (rare) open summer week with less than a month to the arrival date. During prime summer weeks, you get what you pay for. 2-ask realtor or homeowner the home's square footage. I manage our beach home, and am asked that several times a year by savy renters who've been less than satified with the space of previous rentals.(it's also listed on my web pages). Many rental websites include square footage on home's rental page. I've seen plenty of vacation rentals online where the photos look spacious/amazing only to read futher that they are less than 1000 sq ft.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Stay away from "Buss Stop" offered by Century 21 Action

Felt the need to reply to this string since I've stayed in Buss Stop several times. It is one of the older beach cottages found on the island, as UNCMikey said it has pine walls reminiscent of the cottages I stayed in when I was little and for that reason I love them. I agree that the pictures do depict a bright cottage, would imagine it's because they had opened all of the blinds and perhaps the door to let a lot of light in. However, we stayed in that house for 5 years running until we bought a house on the island. We loved the house because it was pet friendly with a fenced in yard, so each morning we could let the dogs about for a bit to run around and sniff. In addition, it's ground built which is good for those (and senior dogs) that have trouble with the stairs. Finally, it's directly across from the public beach access (with bathrooms) making it easy to carry your beach things back and forth. I'm sorry that you were disappointed in the home, but hope that Century 21 took care of your concerns and that you will continue to return to the island.

Charleroi...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Stay away from "Buss Stop" offered by Century 21 Action

I'm glad you like that house. We did not, which is why I posted. Had the AC been able to keep the house adequately comfortable, like MUCH larger houses we've stayed in, I may not have posted anything. I get it's an old house and there's a certain nostalgia involved, but as a customer of a place like that, I shouldn't have to be uncomfortable because "it's an old house." It was frustrating to not be able to come off the beach and eat a meal in the house and sit comfortably.

Reply to: Stay away from "Buss Stop" offered by Century 21 Action
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Surf City
Recent Conversations