We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information about Ashe Island NC located on Topsail

Wilmington, North...
2 posts
Information about Ashe Island NC located on Topsail

Ashe Island

Located near the southernmost border of North Carolina is Topsail Island. This beautiful barrier island is made up of three distinct oceanfront towns, North Topsail Beach, Surf City, and Topsail Beach proper. Every year, thousands of tourists flock to the island to bask in the warm sun on beautiful white sandy beaches; often, they realize that a week or two is simply not enough time to enjoy all that this area has to offer. They want more of North Topsail Beach, so many of them opt to purchase their very own secluded spot, where they can build or buy their own castle by the sea and enjoy the carefree beach lifestyle. If that sounds like you, then you definitely want to consider Ashe Island.

The History of Ashe Island

Ashe Island is named for former North Carolina governor, John Baptista Ashe. Ashe was born in what is now known as Rocky Point in 1748. He was a farmer by trade and owned a tract of land of more than 500-acres.

That land is now the home of Ashe Island, where only 25 ten-acre oceanfront parcels are ever going to be developed. So, if you're looking for exclusivity and seclusion, Ashe Island just might be the perfect place for you!

Moving forward several generations, we find Dr. Hunter Heath. Dr. Heath started buying bits of land on Ashe Island beginning in the 1940s. He leased the land for blueberry, soy bean and corn farming. When Heath died in 1989, farming continued but only for a few more years. Eventually, the land was put up for sale with one-half of the proceeds designated for the University of North Carolina and the other half placed in a trust for family. Brad Minshew purchased all unsold lots in 1999 and became the primary developer of Ashe Island.

Preserving the Integrity of Ashe Island

While builders don't have too many restrictions to deal with on Ashe Island, they do have to take a few things into consideration. The minimum main home size is 3,300 square feet, and one detached guest home is allowed per property. Landowners are encouraged to meld land and water in home designs by building a dock pier and boat landing. Home plans must be approved before construction can begin. The builder or landowner must submit plans to the Ashe Island Farm Architectural Review Committee for approval.

Johnson City...
Level Contributor
209 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Information about Ashe Island NC located on Topsail

Inappropriate Post: IE solicitation and Ashe Island from what I read is a gated community....and Teresa D's post is a cut and paste from the Treasure Realty Web-page.

We currently vacation twice a year on Topsail and since I had never heard of Ashe Island NC located on Topsail was curious.

Wilmington, North...
2 posts
2. Re: Information about Ashe Island NC located on Topsail

Hi Debbie. It is from Treasure Realty. They get the credit for the article. They did a terrific job! I own a few lots in Ashe Island. I am not selling anything. I just wanted to answer the question. Have a great day.

Edited: 04 April 2017, 23:21
3. Re: Information about Ashe Island NC located on Topsail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2018, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Surf City
Recent Conversations