We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

why surf city?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
168 posts
61 reviews
why surf city?

We normally go to Deaton Florida. We are a family of 4 w/1&7yo. We are looking for something new, destin is crowded, expensive and getting old. We will miss the sand and clear waters. We don't boat or fish, we like the beach, daytrips, good food, shopping, just hanging out all of which at reasonable prices... We hope to get help to help us make plans for two weeks at a new vacation spot...thanks

9 replies to this topic
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
9 350 posts
149 reviews
1. Re: why surf city?

As a family, we rented a home OF through Ward Realty. We ALL loved it. There were people, but the beach was quiet. We were at the North end. A small farmers market was across the street, down a block. We could go into Surf City to the excellent fresh fish market on the pier. Go out to eat, bring in and enjoy our Happy Hours looking at the water, waves and hearing the surf.

We looked through many of the homes that were offered and with their help, found the perfect home.

We had a 9 year old and a 4 year old. They would play all morning. We did a few afternoon trips to the Turtle Hospital, went shopping, had picnics, dinners out and ice cream stops.

Perfect, beautiful spot!!

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
691 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: why surf city?

I love Topsail, as that is our go-to beach for the last 35 years whenever we visit my folks near Wilmington, NC. The only thing I would caution is that the eastern coastal beaches have a lot more wave action than Destin Florida area. So, with small children, I would definitely make sure that I stayed in the water with them, versus western Fla. where I just watched carefully from my beach towel once I felt they were steady enough on their feet.

Edited: 01 February 2017, 17:03
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11 556 posts
153 reviews
3. Re: why surf city?

That whole area along the NC coast is very nice, but much different from Florida beaches. Also look at the Carolina Beach/Kure Beach area further south. The NC Aquarium is right there, also the Ft. Fisher battleground and museum and the Ft. Fisher Ferry you can take over to Southport, NC. Carolina Beach is a cute little beachy town and very close to Wilmington, NC. Just a thought.

United States
Level Contributor
476 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: why surf city?

The panhandle area of Florida is definitely, (on it's good days), prettier as far as clear turquoise water & white sand.

The water at Surf City can be clear also & calm-ish, the sand is a pretty light brown and there are lots of sharks teeth to be found!

If you like the low rise areas of 30A, SoWal, etc. and lack of chain stores there, then you'll love Topsail/Surf City.

My family and I love it. Kids do prefer the calmer waves of the Gulf coast, but still spend all their days in the water frolicking.

It's a great little place. We alternate between Topsail & the Panhandle.

I think you'll all love it!

Johnson City...
Level Contributor
209 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: why surf city?

Sugar Island Bakery

Love Topsail and will be there in a few weeks.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
180 posts
60 reviews
6. Re: why surf city?

I love Topsails because it's so uncrowded and does not have that touristy feel to it. Depending on the time of year you go, you practically have the beach to yourself (late Aug or Sept is not crowded except for Labor Day.) It really all depends on what you're looking for in a beach vacation. If you want a quiet, down-to-earth place to relax and enjoy the beach this place is great. If you want clear waters and lots of attractions look elsewhere.

Surf City, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
498 reviews
7. Re: why surf city?

Surf city is a beach with almost all beach house rentals and few hotels- most of the beach is like a private resort-what still is amazing as it was rated one of the top beach vaca in America how inexpensive real estate still is.

Read what trip advisor says about Surf City as top rated. Still pretty much a undiscovered paradise

Hendersonville...
1 post
1 review
8. Re: why surf city?

Surf City is the perfect family destination! We have 4 children. Our oldest is 15 our next child is 7 and the twins are 2. We went last year and everyone had a blast!! We rented thru Ward realty and they were very accommodating. The beaches are quiet and the locals are very nice. We're looking forward to our trip this year in August! We rented the same house and have already booked our Ghost tour of The Poplar Plantation!

Raleigh, North...
4 posts
9. Re: why surf city?

We just purchased what I call my Barbie Dream house at Surf City, so the first time I stayed there was after closing, we spent 30 years renting homes in Emerald Isle and now I just think about all the money we wasted renting there when we could of gotten a much nicer rental house for about half the price for a week. We closed on our house Aug 24th, and every weekend since then we have been there exploring where to shop, where to eat and what to do. I love small quaint shops and there are plenty, the food every place we have tried has been quite good and the prices are good. The beach is quiet and a minute walk from our house to the sand, bike riding is great as the island is quite flat. In our search we looked at a lot of homes and most were very nice and most were homes that were rentals The house we ended up buying was not a rental but of the ones I looked at they seemed far nicer and newer than what we were used to renting at Emerald isle. So far we are loving our purchase with no regrets and the bonus is its only 2 hours from our Raleigh home. There are several private owned hotels on the island but checking rental prices I can't imagine why anyone would rent a hotel room when for about the same price they can a whole house and the privacy that comes with a private home. Enjoy your stay , you will love it at Surf City

Reply to: why surf city?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Surf City
Recent Conversations