We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4x4 beach

LSH
Alburgh, Vermont
Level Contributor
624 posts
12 reviews
4x4 beach

Hello,

We are looking to book in the 4x4 area of Carova in July 2019 (July 20-27). I looked at the Carova forum and saw it didn't get much activity so I thought I would post here. I have read some not great stories about traffic and wondered where the best place to rent a home might be. Looking at Homeway, VRBO, Twiddy and any others I can find. I am very interested in having wild horses to view. We are a family of 4 - my husband, myself, my daughter, her husband and their dog. We don't need a huge house so our selection is a bit more limited. The two I am leaning toward are in very different locations. One is 3 miles down the beach first row, oceanfront. The other is at mile marker 16.5 and sits back from the ocean - about a 7 minute walk from what the owner tells me. Is the traffic on the 4x4 beach really bad? I don't want to fight traffic while on the beach. Would we be better off further down the beach? Another question - the only time I've driven on the 4x4 beach was a few years ago in a Tahoe. I now have a Range Rover Evoque. Will I be Ok or should we drive our Dodge Ram 2500. Both vehicles are 4 wheel drive, but coming from Vermont would be a lot more comfortable and cost a lot less in the Evoque. Thanks for your help.

LSH

6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
825 posts
1. Re: 4x4 beach

There is lots of activity on obxconnection.com forum, especially this week with lots of rain and standing water all over. Post your question there and you will get responses from folks who drive up that way often.

[As of July 26, 2018, Cape Hatteras had received over 16 inches of rain, wettest month since records started being kept in 1893, according to National Weather Service.]

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1 499 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: 4x4 beach

Your Evoque. Should do well . As long as you air down. My daughter has a Subaru Crosstrek it only has about 2 more in of clearance then the Evoque But she does well. Just avoid the deep ruts

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
445 posts
3. Re: 4x4 beach

In July you are going to want to be as far north as possible, simply less people north of you means less traffic. They have been trying to clear things out with a parking fee, don't know the results. https:/…

Warrington...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
4. Re: 4x4 beach

Curious where you wound up? Did it work out for you?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
445 posts
5. Re: 4x4 beach

Since they are going in July 2019, you are going to have a long wait for a response.

Macedonia, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
6. Re: 4x4 beach

The information is all correct. I just came back from Corolla yesterday and it was great. I did not stay in the 4x4 area but drove through. It's $50 bucks for the parking pass on the beach, I am unsure if you can get one from the house you rent. I do know it was hard to get around I have a ram 1500 and the water was to the bottom of my doors. Everything was flooded their. Remember the wild horse tours are usually around 2 hours so they drive an hour in so anything north of say miles marker 20 you will not see them. Have fun my family of 4 did (me, my wife, 9 and 6 year old boys) we saw 5 horses and it was a blast.

Reply to: 4x4 beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Corolla