We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild horses on self drive

Level Contributor
26 posts
Wild horses on self drive

We are going to be at corolla over Easter weekend. How can I see wild horses on self drive ? If I want to try a tour, which one would you recommend

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
825 posts
1. Re: Wild horses on self drive

If you know how to drive on the beach, you can drive north to Carova and maybe see them. check out this guide from Currituck County

visitcurrituck.com/things-to-do/…

If you don't know how to drive on the beach, if your vehicle does not have good ground clearance, then take a tour. The Corolla Wild Horse Fund runs tours and all funds raised go to care of the horses. The guides know where the horses usually hang out, and they can access some private areas the general public does not have permission to enter.

https://www.corollawildhorses.com

Do not try beach driving if you do not have 4 wheel drive, or if you don't have good ground clearance. You will get stuck and a tow can be very expensive.

Manassas
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
2. Re: Wild horses on self drive

Great advice, thank you!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
57 posts
72 reviews
3. Re: Wild horses on self drive

The Corolla Wild Horse Fund offers a terrific tour and well worth the $$$. As an above poster stated, all the profits go toward care of the horses. The employees of this organization truly love the horses and advocate for their safety and freedom.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3 081 posts
136 reviews
4. Re: Wild horses on self drive

If you can drive on the 4x4 beach then it is very very likely you will some of the horses. They are not shy or afraid of you and will not run away. Just be sure you and your vehicle are up to it, a tow is EXPENSIVE there.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5 265 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Wild horses on self drive

We did the tour with the Corolla Wild Horse Fund folks, and I would recommend that. There's no way I would want to be driving my own vehicle to/on some of the places we went. We did see a couple of cars stuck in the sand and I have to tell you those people were not happy!

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
376 posts
162 reviews
6. Re: Wild horses on self drive

The tour guides know the best, hidden places to find the horses and follow the regulations on staying the required distance away from them. Their knowledge makes the tour very interesting.

Hartford,CT
Level Contributor
69 posts
61 reviews
7. Re: Wild horses on self drive

They are not running tours until late April

Reply to: Wild horses on self drive
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Corolla