We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Vacation

Delaware, OH
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Family Vacation

First time in ONX. We are traveling to Corolla (Ocean Sands) from June 2-9. It is three families with kids (5 mo, 1 yr, 2/12, 3) short walk to the beach. We are just barely south of Timbuck 2. How are the beaches? We have a pool at our rental but would like to spend time at the beach as well.

What are the best:

Restaurants for lunches, dinners and seafood

Activities for kids our age

Grocery

Liquor store

Places to see wild horses

Shop

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
16 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
564 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Vacation

Two of your questions i can address.

Take the wild horse tour to see tree horses. The guides know where to find them and can access some areas that tourists can't. Corolla Wold Horse Fund is nonprofit that cares for the horses and their tour proceeds go toward care of the horses.

In North Carolina, liquor is sold only at state run ABC stores. Stop at the one in Kitty Hawk before you head north. Grocery stores sell wine and beer.

Have fun!

Edited: 25 March 2018, 03:29
Mentioned in this post
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
North Carolina
North Carolina
United States
Kitty Hawk
Kitty Hawk
Outer Banks, NC
richmond
Level Contributor
950 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Vacation

There is an abc in Corolla.....remember they are closed on Sunday.

Mentioned in this post
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
Thetford, Vermont
Level Contributor
80 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Vacation

If you will have the vehicle(s) for it, I'd highly recommend driving up onto the 4x4 beach. In my opinion, with kiddos, it's the easiest option (if you aren't staying right on the beach) for a beach day/afternoon. You pull right up and don't have to lug chairs and towels and umbrellas, plus, it's beautiful! Just make sure you're comfortable with beach driving; getting stuck kind of takes away from the enjoyment of the day.

Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Vacation

There is Pizza, Mexican, Minigolf to name a few. What our group of 20 decided to do was to stop at Wal-Mart as soon as we arrived at kittyhawk. We bought porterhouse and tbone steaks, and maranaded them in ziplock baggies on ice. while we sat in 2 hours of traffic heading up to Corolla. We shopped at wee winks, harris tweeter, and the foodlion and each took turns cooking throughout the week. Make sure you bring a portable bbq with you incase your rental is missing one.

Mentioned in this post
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
New Jersey
Level Contributor
24 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Vacation

As far as things to do with the kids, my daughter (who was 2.5 during our last OBX trip) loved the Community Boardwalk in Duck - she liked watching the sunset and looking for animals. We also took her to the Whalehead Club and let her run around the grounds. I recommend heading down to Maneto to go to North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island. It's a bit of a drive from Pine Island, but well worth it - she had a blast, and we were very impressed with how the aquarium has grown since we had last been there 10+ years ago!

Mentioned in this post
North Carolina
North Carolina
United States
Roanoke
Roanoke
Virginia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Vacation

I love those areas too, I've only been to the Aquarium once but my 3 year old had a blast at the shark room chasing the projected floor sharks around. My favorite thing to visit in duck is the town hall which has a short nature trail which eventually turns into the boardwalk.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Vacation

The beach is fine in Corolla but the water will most likely be very chilly in early June.

As far as the other items on your list:

Restaurants for lunches, dinners and seafood

- From Corolla down to Duck (and beyond), you'll find just about anything and everything. From expensive to very reasonably priced.

Activities for kids our age

- Since your kids are really young, I'm thinking the Aquarium, Jockey's Ridge (run around and fly kites but do this in the evening as it'll be too hot during the day), crabbing (do this in the evening)- fun, easy, cheap and no license required (don't keep the crabs, just toss them back in the Sound). Walk the boardwalk in Duck-great sunsets!

Grocery

A Harris Teeter and Fod Lion are close by.

Liquor store

See other answers

Places to see wild horses

- We've seen the horses by driving to where the road (Rt. 12 ) ends in northern Corolla and walking the beach. Might be too much walking for the little ones, though. We've done this in the early morning and at dusk.

Shop

Timbuck II or drive down to Duck. Almost all of the shops are connected by the boardwalk. Grab an ice cream, too.

Happy planning!

Mentioned in this post
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
Timbuck II
Timbuck II
62 Reviews
Corolla, NC
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4 974 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Vacation

We did the wild horse tour with the Corolla Wild Horse fund group. We enjoyed it, but I don't think I'd recommend it for a family with young kids. While our guide was good and we saw lots of horses and interesting scenery, I think 2 hours or so of mostly sitting in a vehicle will be a lot to ask. And once you are out there on the beach and beyond, you really can't decide to get off the tour if the kids aren't doing well--you are on that vehicle until it returns to the center. And do be aware that you can't approach the horses even if you are somewhere and you see them on your own.

Mentioned in this post
Corolla Wild Horse Tours
Corolla Wild Horse Tours
591 Reviews
Corolla, NC
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Vacation

A couple of additional comments:

- I mentioned the shops in Duck being attached by the boardwalk. Across the street is also a lot of other shops including Scarborough Faire.

- Take the kids to the beach some night. Arm them with flashlights. You'll see a ghost crabs scurrying about.

Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Vacation

I second the night at the Beach, it's an experience like no other, if your lucky enough to watch a moon rise it's amazing. The last time we went, a group of people were filming it on tripods in the sand, there were also people who managed to start a fire on the beach and not get caught. All in all it magical.

Reply to: Family Vacation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Corolla