We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outer Banks Sound Side Beaches

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Outer Banks Sound Side Beaches

My extended family (kids ranging from 2 1/2 yr. old to 13 yr. old) is planning a trip to the Outer Banks in June and we will be staying in Corolla. Question is, are there nice sound side beaches at all nearby? Nice being not mucky, and probably no snakes or jelly fish? I've heard both good and bad about the sound side beaches and am now confused. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mentioned in this post
Outer Banks
Outer Banks
North Carolina Coast, NC
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
7 replies to this topic
Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1 458 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outer Banks Sound Side Beaches

Here is a link to swimming area in OBX. It includes swimming pools, ocean, and sound.

https://www.outerbanks.com/swimming.html

In general, the sounds although wonderful for kayaking and other water sports, tend to have brackish water with grassy bottoms, particularly in the Northern areas such as Duck. Further south on Hatteras, the sound is more of a sandy bottom and clearer.

People do swim in the sounds, however, it is not like the ocean. The Currituck sound is home to water moccasins which can be seen on the banks and swimming in the water. Jellyfish are problematic in both sound and ocean as the waters warm up mid summer.

Younger children may enjoy wading in the sound, but older kids would most likely enjoy the ocean better.

When swimming in the ocean be sure your family is knowledgeable about rip currents and then be sure to take in a sunset on the sound!

Mentioned in this post
Hatteras Island
Hatteras Island
Outer Banks, NC
Currituck Beach
Currituck Beach
240 Reviews
Corolla, NC
woodbridge,va
Level Contributor
768 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outer Banks Sound Side Beaches

I agree with all of Lynn's comments. You do have to watch out for snakes on the sound and it is really mucky. Not good for swimming but like she said, fine for little kids to wade in and great for crabbing and kayaking.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outer Banks Sound Side Beaches

Thanks for helping clear this up!

Jonas Ridge, North...
Level Contributor
231 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outer Banks Sound Side Beaches

I too like Lynn's answer. Upon reading the question, I was immediately struck with the feeling I would not consider the sound something I would want to wade in, and was at first unsure how to convey it. Lynn's answer was well articulated and conveyed the thoughts of many of us.

I would venture to say that the sound (as well as the Intracoastal Waterway)-while not without some draws-is "marketed" so heavy in real estate, vacation rental materials, B&B advertising, tourism, etc., it probably does lead one to consider it "almost" as viable as a beach side. I may be oversimplifying but it is NOT. Again-plenty of of good draws to it/them (I'm a birdwatcher) but definitely not as good as the oceanside for those activities, and not even a good substitute,

Wishing you well and hope you enjoy NC.

Virginia
Level Contributor
262 posts
915 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outer Banks Sound Side Beaches

I agree with the other comments. We have walked by the sound and saw snakes sunning themselves on the banks and the water is less than desirable to swim in if you are staying in the area of the Currituck Lighthouse.

Mentioned in this post
Currituck Beach
Currituck Beach
240 Reviews
Corolla, NC
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 052 posts
3 232 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outer Banks Sound Side Beaches

Do arrange for Oceanfront or Beach side for your extended family.

Enjoy

Mentioned in this post
The Oceanfront Inn
The Oceanfront Inn
529 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2 996 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outer Banks Sound Side Beaches

I have to think that if you heard good comments about sound side beaches it would have to be an area not near Corolla. I have kayaked and jet skied up there and their are not many, if any, sandy spots I know of there. It is shallow, muddy, weedy and there can be snakes (although they avoid you if they can). There is a really nice sound side beach west of Jocky's Ridge and some on Hatteras.

Edited: 10 March 2018, 18:17
Mentioned in this post
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
Hatteras Island
Hatteras Island
Outer Banks, NC
Reply to: Outer Banks Sound Side Beaches
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Corolla