We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ruaha in April

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
99 posts
15 reviews
9 helpful votes
Ruaha in April

Hi, is it possible to fly to Ruaha in April? I read in my guidebook that the rains are finishing up. I've seen mixed things on the forum. Some mentioning that camps and flights are not running in April. We are planning to do the northern Loop at the beginning of April and then trying to decide between Ruaha or Zanzibar. We know the weather won't be optimal.

Thanks

1 reply
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
9 036 posts
1. Re: Ruaha in April

The rains are indeed finishing up in Ruaha, as Ruaha is far enough south that it has a weather pattern more similar to southern Africa with one long rainy season starting Nov/Dec and tailing off in March/April. Unfortunately, the safari world in Tanzania tends to work around the weather patterns in the north- with short rains Nov/Dec and long rains March-May.

So Coastal Aviation does not fly in April and May, and you won't be able to get a flight into Ruaha from Arusha or the Serengeti as you can the rest of the year. Also, most camps in Ruaha are closed. I believe Ruaha River Lodge is open, so Foxes safaris might fly in with their own planes from Dar (Safari Airlink). I think Kichaka Expeditions also will operate at that time. I've been told Auric Air will do an inducement stop in Ruaha on their Dar to Iringa route, but I don't know what the minimum number of passengers is.

Or you could fly to Iringa and drive in.

So the options are limited. Without Coastal, combining Ruaha with the northern circuit will be difficult.

Reply to: Ruaha in April
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ruaha National Park
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.