We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to arrange a trip to Ruaha, Tanzania

Nice, France
Level Contributor
66 posts
35 reviews
11 helpful votes
best way to arrange a trip to Ruaha, Tanzania

My daughter and I will be in Tanzania on a work related project in June, 2018. I understand safaris fill up fast, so I've started looking and have totally confused. Since we are two women, we won't do a self-driving safari. What is the best way to proceed? A safari company? Do individual hotels offer day safaris? Are their packages that include air, hotel, and guides through the park? Thanks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 421 posts
11 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: best way to arrange a trip to Ruaha, Tanzania

I've used Adventure Camps of Tanzania. They're excellent and can set up your inta-country flights with Coastal Aviation as well.

Kwihala camp is outstanding, one of my favorites. It used to be part of ACT but now is under Asilia. Definitely worth looking at.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
66 posts
35 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: best way to arrange a trip to Ruaha, Tanzania

Thank you!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4 502 posts
96 reviews
66 helpful votes
3. Re: best way to arrange a trip to Ruaha, Tanzania

We have just arrived in Dar es salaam and are flying out to Mdonya Old River Camp in Ruaha tomorrow for 4 nights then flying on to Lake Manze In Selous for 4 nights. All booked through Expert Africa. All very easy to arrange.

Both camps provide drivers, guides, cars full board etc. Both camps are excellent.

Edited: 6 years ago
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
9 034 posts
4. Re: best way to arrange a trip to Ruaha, Tanzania

I also use Expert Africa. I'd highly recommend Kwihala as well. I have stayed at Mdonya too, which is a slightly less expensive option, but I prefer the location of Kwihala. Other camps worth considering are Mwagusi and Ikuka.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
13 543 posts
5. Re: best way to arrange a trip to Ruaha, Tanzania

I would contact Coastal Aviation and Expert Africa both mentioned above and then see which company suits your budget.

Shediac, Canada
Level Contributor
501 posts
36 reviews
34 helpful votes
6. Re: best way to arrange a trip to Ruaha, Tanzania

We were to Ruaha in November. For us ETrip Africa camp through with the best price, recommend getting a quote from them as well.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
45 995 posts
597 reviews
549 helpful votes
7. Re: best way to arrange a trip to Ruaha, Tanzania

You don't say where you will be based when working. This has a bearing on how to reach Ruaha and where to stay. As others have said it is often a good idea to find a combined flight and lodge/game drive package.

However if you are already based in south Tanzania it is possible to arrange a drive in package and either stay in the NP or at one of the lodges/camps on the Park borders which will work out a lot cheaper.

Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
5 helpful votes
8. Re: best way to arrange a trip to Ruaha, Tanzania

Coastal Aviation is operating a daily morning flight to Ruaha National Park from Dar es Salaam. The most of the agents are using Coastal flights for their packages. There is also the chance to book a Last Minute safari (inclusive of return flight, accommodation, game package, taxes etc) from Coastal Holidays division at roughly 50% off, but it is bookable only 7 days in advance. Up to you either risk the availability to get a cheaper deal - if you have a flexible work schedule - or secure your safari paying a standard rate in advance. Instead, if you will be based in Iringa, I would suggest to organize a car safari since the mentioned city is nearby the park.

1 post
9. Re: best way to arrange a trip to Ruaha, Tanzania

There are lots of safari services companies in Iringa offering safari packages to Ruaha national park. Tatanca safari and tours or warthog adventures are amongst them, they provide safari service from Iringa town to Ruaha national parks.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4 015 posts
595 reviews
270 helpful votes
10. Re: best way to arrange a trip to Ruaha, Tanzania

I stayed for 5 days at Kwihala and 5 at Kichaka and enjoyed both of them enormously. They make a great combination because they're both located in different areas of Ruaha National Park. Kwihala puts an emphasis on vehicle safari whereas, Kichaka is more about walking safaris and fly camping. Anyway, try to combine both of them. The guiding at both properties is some of the best in Africa.

Get answers to your questions about Ruaha National Park
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.